Chapter iv| Old "friends"

N E T E Y A M
Old "friends"
PT 3

I DART AROUND the island like a madman. My pigment is ubiquitous as I scurry searching for Kiri on every corner, I know of this island. My heart throbs in my ears, and my pants are heavy, but I'm not worried. Kiri often wanders solo as she likes solitude.

I just need to find her and make sure she's alright. My eyes outline every Marui, inside and out, every mangrove tree there is, and every Metkayina that spans my path. I hunt for my exact skin, but I don't see her.

I encounter the eyes of a familiar lady: one of Tsireya's friends. The one girl I had a peculiar exchange with two days ago. I walk to her. She watches me close—stares at my every step and swims me up from head to toe.

"Excuse me, have you seen a woman that looks like me? Short and straight hair, with two braids?" I ask her.

Her eyes stay on me for minutes before she says; "I know who she is. It's not at all hard, after all. But no, I have not seen her—you're looking for her?" She tilts her head.

"Yes," I firmly nod.

She smiles and turns to her side, poses a leg, and bats her lashes. "I'm sure she's not far. Maybe she's at the shore? It's a lovely and open area, and not at all hard to find. Search for her there," She enunciates.

I thank her and just as I pivot to sprint away, she yells a vehement "Wait!"

"What's your name?" She asks me.

"Neteyam," I reply.

She's eyeing me again. Her tatted face flickers with interest as I purse my lips and watch her with the dull lour of my eyes. I wait for her to say something else, as she seems to want to, but nothing comes out.

So I bid her goodbye; bow my head with politeness and she does the same. Her eyes still impale me, even when I am turning back to flee. When I am far, I jiggle my head and close my eyes in spurn. I compose myself and shrug off her intentions, choosing to play for a fool.

I walk and walk and at one point it seems neverending. Perhaps I am walking in circles trying to find this shore. I grow weary.

Finally, as I turn a few trees, I spot the said shore, just meters away. Kiri is with her face sunken in the water, and any Na'vi would've thought that she might've been drowning. Three unfamiliar fellas hover over her with their sneering smirks and preying eyes. Ao'nung is there too, though he shields Kiri, his heftier and taller frame towering over them all.

"She's some freak," One of the guys says. His face looks disoriented like he's hooked countless fists throughout his life. Or maybe he's just shaped that way. "C'mon, you think so too, right, Ao'nung?"

Ao'nung's vanquished sigh fills my perked ears.

"Oh! There's another one," another guy sneers. This one has long curls and his chin is tatted. His face isn't as bad as the other two. His head is the shape of a square and he's got long fangs. His eyes are small and he looks like the type to bite. "It's your twink; Toruk Makto's heir."

Ao'nung quickly peers over his shoulder. His eyes pierce mine and I flick my chin to greet him. His jaw is clenched and I glimpse that bulging vein of his neck. Yet, he still tries to smile at me, however vague that is.

His breathing is harsh and despite that stolid face he wears, I can see he is mad. His brow bones are with a subtle furrow that you would have to squint to see and his eyes are scowling. His eyes blaze with emerald green upon the sun's radiance. This time I am reminded of his mother, Ronal.

"You do not speak about him like that Nash'vi!" he snarls, shoving the square-faced guy by the chest, who staggers back with a frown.

"C'mon Ao'nung, aren't we friends? Don't you love making fun? Did you go soft?" he asks him.

There's an authenticity and plea in his tone that makes my tummy twist. I realize this used to be Ao'nung's passer time.

Ao'nung shakes his head solemnly. "Grow up. You're not a kid anymore," he says. His voice is calm and gruff, yet it laces sternly as he points a finger. "You will respect these Omatikaya and will treat them like family. Am I clear?"

He eyes each of the three men; his stare is menacing, riddling them with slits, shredding their souls. There's a splash of water and it's then I realize Kiri getting up. She's been watching this the whole time.

The guys' eyes wander but they don't respond. Instead, they shutter when Ao'nung grips one by the throat. The fella with nest hair is left to gasp and judging by his friends' pleas—I learn his name is Koro.

"I am not your friend. I never was," Ao'nung tells them, releasing his grip on that throat.

My ears flicker upon their sullen faces, but I deem them callous as I spare each a glare. My warning eyes don't leave them even when I turn to trail after Ao'nung and Kiri.

"I'm sorry they treat you this way," Ao'nung tells Kiri. "It wasn't supposed to be like this."

"It's fine," Kiri says, shaking her head. "I'm not injured, at least."

I smile at her remark. My fingers brush against Ao'nung's, and so I take his hand and lock our fingers flush. He squeezes me and I squeeze him back. My body feels hot.

"Don't stay out too late, lovebirds," Kiri says once she has arrived at our Marui after some more walking. She enters it.

I grin and sway my head in disbelief, amused at nothing. Ao'nung smirks and tugs at my hand. I let myself be pulled as he leads me somewhere—somewhere far and an unfamiliar route. He urges me to close my eyes and even threatens to fight me if I am to open them.

I am swallowed by darkness. My ears flatten as I shamble through the many rocks, ramps, and puddles. And at some point, we mount an Ilu.

Forth on the lengthy and tiring journey which feels ongoing, I take a few wily peeks. Once we reach the destination and I open my eyes to his command—I cock my head as I see nothing but plain water.

"What's this?" I ask him.

He shrugs idly but his eyes jig with naughtiness.

30