Chapter ix| Withered time

N E T E Y A M
Withered Time
PT1

"NO, YOU WILL EAT!" My mother says, pulling me down brusquely by the arm to sit before I can wander anywhere else. She shoves a plain and steamed Ovumshroom at my lips, urging me to eat it. I take it and nibble it with idle.

"Eat first, and then you can go wherever you like," My father chimes, pecking my mother's temple. "And that goes for all of you, kids."

Lo'ak rolls his eyes hard and groans as he ties his braids into his usual single ponytail. Tuktirey is not minding as she eats her chopped-up batch of Ovumshroom with a hum, and Kiri exchanges a look with me, her eyes keen.

"Because of your stupid eagerness, I can't go anywhere!" Lo'ak whines.

"Hey!" My father snaps his head. "Language. And I did not say that."

"Sure did," Lo'ak retorts.

"Don't you answer back to me, boy. Remember you are still a child," Father says gritting his teeth. Lo'ak lets out a long exasperated sigh.

"Not for long," He reasons deadpan, "I am a man within a few days."

That's right. Lo'ak's Iknimaya. His last rite.

It's within a few days, as soon as the sun strikes the sky. Lo'ak would choose his Ikran at sunrise. If he succeeds then he'll get to fly for the first time. A flight of triumph.

However, if he fails then there's the possibility he might die in vain. It's a scary thought, but nothing to stop him. He's one to tackle things head-on. It runs in the family after all.

"Has Neteyam been teaching you well?" Mother asks Lo'ak, who nods assuringly with a flash of his pearly teeth and tiny fangs.

"Yeah, he does, despite that I already knew most of the stuff he told me," He replies.

"Liar," I spit, shaking my braids. "You kept uttering wow's and oh's at every little piece of information I gave you!"

He crosses his arms, "Liar. Pinocchio nose."

"Be nice," Father intervenes, "And leave Pinocchio back on Earth. That wooden toy gives me the creeps," He almost shudders.

Only a few families are out enjoying their first meal of the day. The majority are still sleeping, as it's still dim outside, the sun barely peeking about. It's windy and it almost feels like it's going to pour.

"Can I pack some shrooms on the go for later?" I ask gently. My father replies "yeah" without a second thought, although my mother's eyes linger on me for seconds. I thank my father.

As I stand, my eyes cross Kiri's curious gaze.

_________________

I feel dismal. Everything feels morose. Maybe it's the darkening sky; the clouds inching closer by minutes, ready to downpour its rain. Or maybe it's the look on Ao'nung's face; embarrassment from having been seen at his vulnerability yesterday. He eats his breakfast silently and slowly.

"Are you okay?" I ask him, hating how nothing else seems to come to mind. He slowly nods.

"...I can forget about it...if you want. That you ever cried..."

"No need."

"Then...can you talk to me?" I muster through the knot in my throat. He sighs and puts his food aside. He lies in my lap and faces the sky.

"Just for a bit," He murmurs.

I feel a small tickle in my abdomen, and perhaps they are from his silk curls. I also feel a tingle somewhere else—at the end of my queue but I ignore it.

My slender fingers wander over his face, caressing the traces of cyan. He stares at me with his big pupils, and I make sure to divert my gaze, not wanting to be caught up in the violent tides of his eyes.

My voice trails in a trance: "You won't see me for a while. I'll be busy with my younger brother, preparing him to tame his own Ikran. It is my duty as the oldest...I'll still drop by to give you food, but I will not be staying."

There are gentle swishing sounds that come from the bushes, but I don't turn as I deem them trivial. I don't sense danger. I'm in a serene state, holding the Metkayinan boy, as we both gape into each other's eyes. Perhaps it's some harmless creature lurking around.

"I'll miss you as much as I hate to admit it," He says, chuckling melancholically. His smile doesn't reach his eyes, and I can only imagine how alone he feels. Trapped in a vast void of trees. My heart drops and shatters.

My thumb caresses his philtrum. My lips are agape and so are his. At the moment, they seem plump and glossed over. Tempting. I notice how soft and plump his cheeks also look, and I want to tug them hard until he cries with jovial laughter.

I lean in, my braids dangling upon his face. My breathing fastens. I stay there stuck for a few seconds before I lift my face back up and laugh. "You're easy to draw," I joke.

He tilts his head confused, although he also laughs, "What does that mean? Sky people saying?"

"It means you're..."

"I'm a what?" He inquires.

I shrug, "Ugly. Hate to break it to you, fish boy."

"Ha-Ha!" He exclaims sarcastically, and slaps my chest, "Comedian level."

"I know," I deadpan, my chest puffing with comical pride. He rolls his eyes and tucks his left arm under his head. His chest widens as he takes breaths, and I'm reminded of how eerie I had first been of his flared ribs.

My hand clutches his necklace, examining the tooth; twirling it around my fingers.

"It's a Tsurak tooth," He says, "Dad made it for me." His eyes lower and his tone is almost sad as he reminisces the painful memories he's of loss now. "I've yet to tame my own."

My ears perk. "You're not a man yet?" I ask, unaware of how my hand now gently rests on his hard sternum. The touch of the skin sends a rousing shiver throughout my body and out my fingertips, searing them.

"I failed the first time," He almost grins, "I'm hard-headed as you can see."

I laugh. "Yeah? Well, I like you that way. You're fun."

"Just fun?"

"Fun and stupid," I say.

He taps my chin briefly with a faint smile and doesn't say any more else.
We fall into a cordial silence.

9