Chapter XI| More To Come

A O' N U N G
More To Come
PT2

"AM I YOUR first kiss?" Neteyam asks me, playing with my long fingers. His hands are big but not bigger than mine. He falls short by nearly three centimeters. The difference makes me swoon.

I snort and lean my head on his chest, resting it there. I feel the thump of his heart, beating with strong 'lubs' and 'dubs' that make my ears nail onto my head. The water of the pond all of a sudden feels warmer. My shoulders relax.

"You are," I reply with a grin, lifting my head to peer into his eyes. He stares me down. I drown in that puddle of yellow with lime-green tints. They're puncturing me like a blade, perilous, and I'm unable to turn away. I am bewitched by him.

"Don't look at me like that," He pecks my lips.

"Like what? I'm not doing anything," I whisper, caressing his lean thighs. My fingers dance on his upper thighs, doing small tickles.

"I'll really miss you, 'tey," I breathe. He caresses my jaw and kisses my lips for what feels like a while. I relish every second.

"No monkey boy? Or Forest boy?" He asks with light fun. I shake my head and chortle.

"I can go back to calling you that. We don't gotta be cutesy like some mates."

Mates. The word has a fine ring to it. It makes my gut flutter and my heart clench with mirth.

He stifles a laugh and playfully plows me. Too hard that I face plant onto the water as a puff of air escapes my lungs and a choke muffles my throat. I drink in the water from the blow.
I glare at him, blinking the flood from my eyes.

"You tree-hugger! You pushed me hard!" I snarl, but my tone is lighthearted. He scratches his head and apologizes, though it isn't genuine as he keeps on laughing. He reaches to wipe the droplets off my face.

I keep myself quiet and only stare at his face—from his eyes to his lips and back. I relish his touch and lean into it, wanting him to touch me evermore. I notice his everything: his lidded eyes that stare at my lips, his curled lashes that adorn those eyes full of life, and his lips that are agape with his two cute front teeth peeping.

"Promise me you'll wait for me," He says as his eyes dart all over my face. I want to curl from the way he looks at me, so soft and with adore. I smirk and nod, feigning confidence despite my stomach feeling like hurling from sweetness.

"I'm not interested in my people anyway," I joke. "I'd take a tree-climbing monkey over a fish any day."

I laugh and he rolls his eyes. There's a spirited glint that jigs about his eyes.

"Promise me, Ao'nung?" He asks sternly.

"I promise you, 'Tey. I'm devious but I never break promises, yeah?"

__________________

Neteyam and I are back hand in hand. The Omatikayas do their usual duties (I can only presume). They cook and craft, some play with their children and some sing—maybe chant—swaying with their hands latched with one another. I stare in awe. It almost reminds me of home.

"Ma'Teyam," Neteyam's mother calls—by the name of Neytiri as I remember. She goggles at our entwined hands with her huge eyes and hung open jaw. She doesn't say anything, just regains composure as Toruk Makto shows up:

"Where were you?" He asks Neteyam.

For a brief second, it's like the words get clung to his throat because his eyes linger on our hands. I am prone to pull away, too fearful of what he and Neytiri might think. But as I try to tug my hand away, Neteyam only grasps harder.