Chapter i| Awa'atlu

N E T E Y A M
Awa'atlu
PT3

THE JOURNEY IS FAR. My family and I have been flying by air for a month. Before leaving, Father entrusted Grandmother Mo'at to govern our people for the time we are away as she is Ex-Tsahìk.

An Olo'eyktan departing their home is always taboo. They are envisioned to be forever with their people—and if not, they must choose another to rule. These are the exalted rules and long-lived traditions. Regardless, Father trusts the Omatikaya, and so does Grandmother Mo'at.

Our Na'vis are devoted and free of violence. Perhaps breaking tradition once isn't a dire thing, right?

My family insisted on coming, using our familial saying "Sully's stick together" as an excuse. Besides, I saw that Mother fretted; gnawed on her nails as the thought of me gliding far from home made her distressed, so she had no choice but to come. It's a "family vacation" my father told my siblings (who all almost wept from having to leave home).

We orbit the island as a salute and finally land our Ikrans on the mild sand. We hop off their slick backs. I heed father and emulate his sprawled-out hands that are supposed to signal trust and non-violence as we walk through the mass of turquoise that encloses us with interest. 

I see that most are tatted, even women. The majority are robust with their bulging muscles. The children hide behind their parents, but their blue eyes never stop peeking to see us newcomers.

A lofty and buff male makes his way to the front as a shorter and slimmer boy routes from behind like some child. The Na'vis swerve to the side and make way for both of them.

My eyes go wide. My throat salivates. I rush to bow my head; my finger pressing my forehead in greeting:

"I see you," I say gruffly, looking at those azure eyes of the taller male that I've missed so much.

Tattoos are now all over his face, pecs, and arms. His curls are past the shoulders, yet he still sports that fluffy bun and braids at the scalp.

His eyes swirl with adore and he beams, greeting me back with his finger. He walks towards me, and I stare stupidly at his every step. He's grown so tall, so buff, and so alluring, I can only think.

"I've come..." The words spill from my mouth in a stupor.

I chuckle nervously, my eyes crinkling as I cannot stop the hard beating of my chest and my stupid timid grin. His eyes pounce at me like prey. They swallow me, my every being, my very soul. He traps me in those eyes. I don't realize when his arms wrap around me tightly.

"I've kept my promise," He whispers in my ear. I hug him tight, my arms belting around his waist. I drown in his bulging arms, relishing his warmth.

A loud gush of water is heard from our side. I glance to see a woman that flicks her dark hair as water streams down her curvaceous frame. She walks towards us, her footing elegant; each foot traversing one another with her gentle sway of hips. I hear Lo'ak's loud airy gasp and I swat my head to smirk at him.

He looks at her with a swoon, his dark brows flashing her a flirty look.

"Hey," He greets her, flicking his chin.

The girl's fingers cup her smile with bashfulness. She peers at Lo'ak through her wide and vibrant blue eyes and the fluttering of her long lashes. She has strong and deep dimples that pull deeper with her grin.

"Brother," The girl calls Ao'nung. My ears perk. I greet her as she and I make eye contact, realizing she's the 'Tsireya' Ao'nung once talked about. His sister.

"You are Neteyam," She says or more so states, returning my greeting. Her fingers fall gracefully at her side as she then faces my brother. "Nice to meet you...uhm?"

"Lo'ak," My brother blurts, puffing out his chest as if to woah her.

"Lo'ak," She repeats with her never faltering grin. "I'm Tsireya."

Gossip and whispers come from the throng of Metkayina like buzzing as they swerve once again, and Olo'eyktan Tonowari and his mate emerge.

"Jake Sully. Neytiri te Tskaha Mo'at'ite," The Olo'eyktan greets, bowing his head, and exchanging looks with each of my parents.

"It's nice to see you again, Tonowari," Father says, nodding his head.

"You are the Sullys?" The Olo'eyktan's mate asks with disdain, circling us, her harsh eyes glowering us down. She inspects our fingers, having seen that Lo'ak and Kiri have five. She inspects our lithe frames and thin tails; tugging at them.

Ao'nung places a hand on my lower back and meets my eyes with an apologetic look on his face. "I'm sorry," he mouths.

As I turn to face the front, the Tsahìk stands before me. She looks at me for what seems like minutes, her face illegible. The crowd is in a hush with their ears back and their prying eyes anticipating. Even our Ikrans are still. I can only hear the muffled roar of tides over the distance.

"You are Neteyam?" She asks me.

I nod, flickering my gaze to the ground.

"Look at me, son," She demands. "Do not cower."

"I am not, ma'am," I gruff, lifting my eyes to look at her again. I see that she has a smile on her once stoic face.

"You saved my son long back. I thank you," She says. "I also know you've chosen one another—however that happened, it's not my business. I will keep my eyes on you, Neteyam. You hold lots of promises to you."

I grin and firmly nod. "Thank you—"

"Call me Ronal," She cuts me off. "Think of me as your second mother."

"—Ronal, Thank you," I say.

Her eyes linger on me for brief seconds before she saunters to the crowd, the smile soon faltering off her face as she orders her people to get back to their duties.

They quickly scurry off. The Olo'eyktan urges us to follow him, and we do so, as he leads us to our own empty Marui that's just a few Maruis away from theirs.

Ao'nung helps me unpack, which doesn't take much as I only brought a few items.

"Three years and you're finally here," He says, kissing my temple.

I wrap my arms around his neck and he wraps his around my midriff. His skin is chiseled and cool against the ardency of my skin. I throw my head back and exhale, staring at the ceiling of our now Marui, happy to be in his arms.

His abs flex as mine presses against him. I feel every muscle of his, and every lift of his chest as he breathes.

"Umm..." Tuktirey clears her throat. She eyes both of us with bafflement; her doe eyes vast and searching. I had forgotten she is here as well as Kiri and Lo'ak that are goggling at us with sham disgust. My parents seem to mind their business at the furthest back of the Marui.

"Big brother, you have a mate?" Tuktirey asks me in her high-pitched voice—only this time it's higher and whiner.

My throat runs dry, because what do I say? How does one Na'vi explain to a youngster?

27