Chapter IV| Neteyam

A O' N U N G
Neteyam
PT2

THE BOY IS BACK by noon. He brings me lunch and dinner and sits across me with his legs crossed. His knife loops around a fruit with pink hard skin I do not know the name of, and he splits it open and hands me half.

"Take it," He says. My hand brushes against his, and I can see that he eyes me watchfully, his eyes darting about my face.

"What's your name? You never told me," He blurts out. His eyes widen with expectancy.

"Ao'nung," I say, raising my browbones as he stares at my lips, which I lick over. "Yours?"

It's only fair to return the question. But even then, I can't deny the tinge of curiosity I feel, coursing and burning my chest.

"Neteyam," He grins. I hum and don't say anything after that. He doesn't either.

The stillness is oddly serene. I take in the forest nature and let my back slump. I let myself zone out. But abruptly I'm hauled back with panic; a rushing fear shivering my body frigid as Neteyam presses a finger to his lips. Quiet, he seems to say. He's louring as he grabs his bow cautiously and peers through the bushes.

I try to peer too from where I'm sitting; my eyes trying to catch the tiniest glimpse through his wide back. But shortly, he goes back to sit and puts his bow to the side. I look at him pryingly. I try to understand and make out the situation.

"It's nothing. Just stay quiet for now," He whispers.

My finger traces patterns on the damp dirt with boredom. My finger swirls and draws straight lines, some of which connect and make objects. I make some Mangrove trees and some oval shapes, which are supposed to be Maruis.

After some time, Neteyam finally exhales. "They're gone," He says.

"As I said, you forest people are weird," I remark in my dull tone. There hadn't been a need to say that, but somehow I felt it was right. I had to shed it to light.

"You haven't met the rest of us," He retorts and gazes at me bored.

"If you're weird with your super abilities then I imagine the rest of the clan is," I continue with my arms crossed. He eyes my chest and I don't say anything, but soon later he laughs...

His fingers cup his lips as if he's trying to stop his cackles that emerge by the minute without sounds. Silent cackles.

I frown. "What's funny?"

"Has anybody told you that you resemble a fish?"

My ears pull flat on my head, and I tilt my head. I shove him. My frame pins against his. "Did anybody tell you that—"

"That I resemble a monkey?" He cuts me off.

My lips drop agape, my words failing to spew out. My brain goes blank, and I wonder; What else am I supposed to say?

I become more and more silent as the seconds tick, and once I close my mouth—it's like giving him the freedom for more taunting.

"That's what you were gonna say, no?" He grins exultantly and I roll my eyes. I back away and cross my ankles as I lean back on my arms.

"You're no fun," I deadpan, my eyes trailing; swimming him up from head to toe as he sits up on his elbows. He still has that bright beam, and it makes him look somewhat stupid and just as childish. "Do you always smile?"

"Why? Is it bad?"

"Horrendous!" I laugh with ill intent, flinging my head back because truly I had thought it to be hilarious. But as my laughter dies and I stop to look at him, I realize that he isn't affected. He looks at me with his wide yellow eyes. I can tell they're filled with life. He's full of life.

I clear my throat, "I'm just surprised is all. You're the only one I've met that continuously smiles and is full of joy," I admit.

He squints with disbelief. "There's gotta be someone back home."

I shrug. "Maybe there is...maybe they're hiding." It isn't quite a lie. Back home, I wasn't one to talk to all Metkayina, despite my father urging me to. He's always said that someday I'd take his throne and rule just as he, and therefore I should converse with all Na'vis of my village.

I never bothered. I only had and still have those five friends, and that's enough for me. But none smile like this boy. So bright and blinding that it makes me turn away with vexation.

He lies on his back and looks at the sky.

"...I've always felt alone..." He trails, and I turn my head, confused as to why he's suddenly telling me his life. I see that he has this zoned-out look on his face and I figure that I don't mind and I listen. "You give me a break—a company I never thought I needed. I thank you for it," He meets my eyes.

I smile and nod lightly. "I thank you too, for keeping me company, despite being a stranger and a possible threat," I say jokingly.

He rolls his eyes and slaps my chest gently.

"Idiot," He huffs. His touch prickles my skin; really faint that it's barely even there. I put my fist out to him, and he wraps his hand around it. It's oddly warm, and cozy. I stare at his shade, much darker than mine.

"Friends?" I croon with a subtle smirk. He isn't too bad of a guy, and if anything, he can keep me company in the meantime. He's tolerable.

"Forever Friends," He grins. It's too sweet and too genuine that I almost curl. I'm not used to it.

Forever friends. I pause, thinking about those words over and over. I can lie and say yes or I can tell the truth and...

"That is for the time being, until I go back," I say.

"That's why I said forever, dimwit."

I sigh. "Whatever you say, forest boy," I reply with wariness, "Since you're stubborn."

"That's the more to the delight of not forgetting me," He says with a slightly joking tone, but I don't know whether to trust it. He sounds serious after all. I peel my fist away from his hand.

"You know the drill, right?" He asks as he stands.

"Do not wander off places you don't know and blah blah blah," I say, reciting his own words. I roll my eyes (a habit I find myself using often nowadays) and he chuckles and pats me on the head.

It would've been good if he had stopped right there, but soon after he wobbles my head. Back and forth, back and forth. My head spins just as it aches. I start to whine and my grip pulls at his wrist that just won't latch off.

"Remember to eat your dinner, alright?"

"Yeah, Yeah..." I hum. It's the last thing I say that day.

As he turns to leave for home, I only look at his wide back and those blocky strips of cobalt blue. If some random Na'vi saw me, they might've thought I'd wanted to murder the guy—but that isn't it.

There's something in me that flares with curiosity; rushing through my whole being. I feel inclined to keep him around and maybe it's because I'm at some lone place.

Frankly, in short, I am curious about him.

19