# 12 - The Feather You Hold

"Ah, nothing!" His mother, or Chiyo, gracefully hopes odd the counter and onto her feet. She smiled and winked at you, "I suppose you should get ready for bed as well. You both have much to do tomorrow."

You chuckled and winked back at her, "I guess so ya!"

Tokoyami looked between you both with a suspicious look. "You can dress in my room if you wish, I will stay out here till you say you are done."

"Sounds good!" You smiled and disappeared down the hallway towards his room. You shut the door behind you and opened your bag, pulling out your shorts and... charger... and... where's your shirt? You swear you shoved one in before you left. Your heart dropped to your stomach. You felt anxiety start to build. Would it be weird to ask to borrow a shirt? Should you just wear your school uniform top?

You finally convinced yourself to open the door to ask him once you had your shorts on and left your school top on. "Hey... uh, Tokoyami?"

He looked up from his phone as he leaned against the wall in the hall, "Is something wrong? Y/n, you look pale."

You awkwardly chuckled, "Uh, well. Heh, I've got an award question to ask... could I uh- borrow a night shirt to sleep in... I sort of seem to be missing the one I sore I grabbed..."

_________________________________________

**Tokoyami's POV**

He could feel heat running across his face and prayed his feathers didn't poof, "Oh- of course you can." He entered the room to open his closet, and as he searched for a shirt for you to borrow, his heart pounded in his chest. What was a suitable shirt to give you? Was he taking too long? He panicked and handed you a t-shirt he spotted.

He turned and handed it to you. You held it up and studied it for a moment before smiling and chuckling a little. Wait, what shirt did he give you?

You giggled more before looking to him, "Caw-caw?" You turned the shirt to him so he could see the little angry bird with bolded words saying 'CAW-CAW F*CKERS'.

He face palmed, of course he had grabbed the gift his dad had bought him as a funny joke. "I apologize. I'll grab a different one."

He tried to grab it from you, and you tugged it back and away, "Absoultly not! It's adorable and you already gave it to me."

Tokoyami felt the butterflies grow in his stomach. You hadn't made fun of the shirt... you found it, cute. He cleared his throat and looked away, "Very well, I shall step out for you to change." With that, he left the room and shut the door gently. He leaned against the hallway wall and took a deep breath with a hand over his heart. He wished it wouldn't try jumping out.

The door opened again, and he stood up straught quickly, being slightly startled by it. He stared at you, the shirt had been loose on him, as most of his clothing. To his preference, of course, and the shirt was definitely big on you, the longer shirt had almost covered your shorts. You wouldn't meet his eyes, clearly embarrassed.

He snickered a little, "You look like a small child."

Your head snapped up at the comment, "EXCUSE me?! A small child!?"

He started to snicker harder at your reaction, "Yes, the shirt makes you look like a small child."

Dark Shadow creeped out, "It's definitely bigger on you."

Your jaw dropped in shock, "Dark Shadow! You are taking his side?! I've been betrayed!" You threw your hands in the air and walked back into the room dramatically.

He smiled. This was going to be an interesting night, that's for sure. He walked in after you and shut the door. He turned to watch Dark Shadow try to get you to look at her. "Please, Y/n! I'm sorry~"

You peaked one eye open at her, and you received puppy dog eyes from the shadow. Tokoyami could see your heart absolutely melting in defeat. "Fineeee."

"Yay!" Dark Shadow nudged into you in happiness. You giggled and nudged back as you gave them head pats. 

"I don't know how anyone could stay mad at that face." You said to Dark Shadow.

He wasn't sure how anyone could say no to your pretty face. He couldn't help staring for a moment while you chatted with Dark Shadow and gave her pats. His heart fluttered, and he averted your gaze when you looked over at him from the bed. "Are you just going to stand there all night?"

"Ah! no." He snapped out of his trance and moved to the small mattress on the floor.

You gave him an upset look, "It's too hard to talk to when you sit down there, unless you are going to bed already."

"We did say that we have much to do tomorrow."

"Fineeee." You flopped back on the bed. He held his gaze on you for a moment, "Tokoyami." He only hummed in response, admiring how your hair fell so nicely around your head. You turned your head to look straight at him, "What do you think it will be like living with the class?"

He couldn't take the eye contact and turned and sat with his back leaning against the bed, "I'm not sure."

_________________________________________

**Your POV**

You watched as he leaned against the bed, and you stared at the back of his head. "Maybe we can all hang out a bunch." As you spoke a thought crossed your mind, you could easily touch his feathers from here. Your hand was already laying just next to his head. It would be so easy to just...

You hadn't even realized you were moving with your thoughts. Your hand shifted and lightly brushed the back of his head, feeling his soft feathers against your skin. You saw him tense and pulled back your hand, and then Dark Shadow took her chance from beside you and shoved into your shoulder, and your hand was pressed into his feathers. The only way you could get your hand back was by slowly running your hand through his feathers.

Only Tokoyami's bird like instincts kicked, and he self-consciously leaned into the touch. You smiled lightly, and slight blush touching your cheeks as you gently ran your hand through the soft feathers and fiddled with them. You smiled more every time  he would press his head into your hand. You were never going to forget this. It was too cute.

Your heart absolutely melted into a puddle when a small chirp came out like a purr. He tensed quickly and pulled away, a loose feather getting caught in your fingertips and staying with you. He faced you now, sort of. It was hard to tell with his hands over his beak and face.

"I apologize greatly. I- I don't know what came over me." His feathers were poofing a bunch.

You silently giggled a little, "It's alright, I don't mind at all." You looked down at the feathers you held in your fingers and fiddled with it, "Your feathers are actually pretty soft and fun to play with..."

You could feel his gaze on you, and you smiled slightly at the dark feather you held. Neither of you said a thing for a while.

Eventually Tokoyami lowered his hands but kept his face turned from you. "I suppose we should head to sleep."

"Oh, ya I guess so." You felt a little disappointed, almost hoping for an answer to your conversation you had just had. But you quietly layed down on his bed and pulled the blankets over you.

He spoke quietly from his place on the floor, "Sleep well, Y/n."

"Goodnight..." You waited a few moments before speaking on a barley auditable voice, "Fumikage..."