Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

A long conversation with Jael left Destiny feeling more torn and broken than she did before. On other occasions when she had experienced heartbreak; her friends would rally around her to comfort her. They would come to her house with a takeaway and an obscene number of snacks and insult the guy in question for hours on end. They would assure her that she deserved better, and they would be by her side every step of the way, but this was different because it was Andre. Destiny had relayed everything that happened between her and Andre that night to Jael and Chioma. Jael was evidently shocked about how Andre violently broke the drawer, but she did not condemn him, and Destiny knew Jael did not blame him for his actions. Everyone blamed her.

Her dirty laundry had been aired out and she could no longer run away from all the wrongs she had done to Andre. Her friends were his friends and her family loved him dearly, so it essentially left Destiny with no one completely on her side. Jael told her she was there for her but admitted she was happy they had finally let go of each other. She said she wanted Andre to be happy and get the healing he deserved, and she wanted Destiny to fully face the truth and consequences of her actions and learn from it. Destiny knew that was a fair and honest conclusion, but she still felt hurt at the painful fact everyone knew she was at fault. She remembered Payton's bitter words when they had the argument – labelling her judgmental and wicked and that hurt more. Destiny and Payton were not on good terms which meant part of her support system was already broken but the sad part of it all was that even if she did reach out to Payton, she would be on Andre's side just like everyone else.

Destiny was tired of crying. It was even harder when she had to suppress her emotions in order to carry out her motherly duties with Mia. No one understood how she felt. Yes, she had done a lot of wrong, but she still loved Andre. He was one of her best friends and someone she shared a lot of intimacy with and now all of that had come to a timely end. Every precious moment they shared had come down to absolutely nothing, everything was shattered and not even their friendship remained in the ruins. It was all over. She found herself frequently hovering over Andre's number in her phone and that made her feel more stupid. There was nothing to say. The thought of calling him to pour out her heart made her sick because he could very well be with Kayla and he clearly ran out of compassion to give.

She stuck her feet into her fluffy slides and carefully tied the white ribbon around the black box she needed to give her client. Praise picked up Mia in the morning and took her back to their parents' house to give her some breathing space and time to catch up on work. She put up a post on her business Instagram account to announce that she would not be taking orders for a little while. She did not know how long her break was going to be, but she knew she needed to get herself together and not be overwhelmed by responsibilities. Regardless, she still had to fulfil the orders people placed before her announcement. She hung her keyring on her finger and made her way out of the door. She met a client down the road from her apartment complex so she could give them their order. For safety reasons, she did not allow people to come to her house but if they chose the collection option as opposed to delivery then she would arrange to meet them nearby.

"Thank you so much hun, I can't wait to install it." Her client gave her a wide smile, revealing her gap tooth and adorable braces.

"No problem, doll. Don't forget to tag me on insta when you do, @theehairheaven!" it was the small things that reminded destiny she had so much to be grateful for. So many people had hair businesses and she did not even consider herself to be the best, but she never lacked clientele. She did not put in as much effort with her business as she could have because it was not her life passion, but it still paid off.

Destiny scolded herself for moping around because of Andre as ultimately, she knew it was for the best that they finally separated. That moment was always going to come but she just didn't anticipate feeling so defeated by it and like an umbilical cord had been prematurely snatched from her intestines.