Chapter Five

CHAPTER FIVE

Destiny's parents came to pick up Mia for the day and it was a huge relief as she finally got some time to herself. She loved her daughter, but she had to admit that it sometimes got a bit overwhelming. Andre and her family and friends were a great help but at the end of the day if anything happened to Mia, Destiny was held responsible as the primary carer. She would lay down her life for her child but appreciated the time they had apart sometimes.

She planned to lie in as it was a fairly quiet Sunday but after she dropped Mia to her father's car she couldn't get back to sleep so she sewed, customised and packaged a few wigs for clients who had ordered from her website, so they were ready to be shipped at the post office the next working day. Andre had not been staying with them for the past week as he was staying at his mother's house and getting things done. He had been at the studio with his friends, one of whom was starting a rap career and decided to spend the night at Destiny's apartment. She knew the studio session was likely filled with alcohol, drugs and 'groupie' girls but she did not care as she woke up in a strangely good mood.

She put the wigs she had finished and wrapped up to the side in the plastic box which she kept the completed orders. She was preppy and still had energy, so she decided to make an English breakfast. She basked in the smell of eggs, beans and sausages that reminded her of her childhood when she and her siblings were in charge of making everyone breakfast on a Saturday morning. The sound of music erupted from her room, so she knew Andre was awake and subconsciously nodded her head along to Don't Play Around – Gunna. She plated the food for both of them but covered his food as she was not sure if he was ready to eat.

Destiny walked into the bedroom with her plate and fork in her hand and smiled softly as he sat upright in the bed, rapping along to the music with his natural curls low, matted and rough from the pillow. "I made breakfast, yours is under the microwave cover."

His eyes were still heavy with sleep but the expression on the rest of his face said it all as his lips formed into a big, boyish grin. "Thanks, Dest. Imma get in the bathroom quick then I'll come out."

By the time Andre had finished in the bathroom, Destiny had finished her food and rubbed at her belly as she walked into the open-plan kitchen to clear up after herself.

"This smells good man." Andre walked up to her and slapped her bum whilst taking a dramatic deep breath in through his nose. She patted his hands away disapprovingly although she did not really mind.

"Do you want apple or orange juice?" She offered.

"Orange..." he peered at her with narrowed eyes and raised eyebrows as she retrieved a glass from the cabinet. He could never predict how Destiny would choose to act on any given day. Sometimes she loved him and craved his attention and company whilst other times she disapproved of every move he made and beyond being confusing, it was exhausting. He sniffed at his food and she placed a full glass of juice on the side table next to him.

"What are you doing, you idiot." she held back her laughter at his bizarre actions.

"I'm trying to make sure there's no poison in this."

She rolled her eyes and her lips cracked into a small smile. "What are you on about, I cook all the time."

"Yeah, but not with this much happiness. You're serving me like a king, Dest, you've got me scared." His eyes rolled back as he dug into the fluffy and perfectly seasoned eggs.

"How was the studio session?" She crossed her legs and got herself comfortable on the sofa next to him, looking through her phone and replying to emails.

"It was calm." He shrugged nonchalantly. "You know how it is when the mandem get together anyway." Andre rolled his eyes humorously, remembering the debates, argument and sheer ignorance of the previous night.