13: Spoiled Brats

Start from the beginning

“All right,” Jakeson snapped, giving his brother a harsh glare, “that’s enough.” When Matthew chuckled Jakeson got to his feet, taking a threatening step towards where Matthew had me trapped behind the couch, one hand over my mouth and the other wrapped around my waist.

Without hesitation Matthew backed off of me. “No need to get territorial.”  I turned to look over my shoulder at him to see his eyes looking past me to Jakeson, his hands up in the air in a defensive position as he started to take another step back from me. He stopped mid-step and a mischievous glint crossed his eyes. Before he even opened his mouth I knew whatever it was he was about to say wasn’t going to be something good. “You know, I heard that you haven’t had the chance to mark your territory yet. Not that-“

“Okay!” I yelped. This time it was my hand covering Matthew’s mouth. I’d made the mistake of caving to his teasing and admitting that I’d never slept with Jakeson. Even with me shooting him annoyed looks I could feel him smile into my hand and start to try and talk again. “You said you had a present?” I asked, diverting his attention. There was no way I was talking about my sexual life in front of everyone. Taking the bait he nodded slowly and I withdrew my hand. “What is it?”

He smiled slowly. “It’s a secret, I can’t tell you.” He extended his hand towards me and I looked down at it apprehensively. “Come on. I’ll show you.”

After a few more seconds of me staring at his hand he gave up, wiping off my spit from it onto his pants leg before once more sticking it out for me. This time I accepted it and he didn’t hesitate to start dragging me from the room. “Matthew! What are you doing?” Jakeson called out from behind us, obviously not approving.

I looked over and up at Matthew who was grinning like a goon. “He’s way too easy.”

I rolled my eyes but smiled as well. “Or maybe you’re just too good at getting on his nerves?” I asked, nudging him with my shoulder playfully. He gave a big grin, his blue eyes shining in amusement. “Now really, what is this damned present?”

“It’s-“

“Matthew,” Spencer interrupted as he pushed through the front door and his eyes landed on him, “why is Grass just standing outside?”

My eyes darted open as I looked to Matthew. No, he didn’t! But Matthew was too busy looking disappointed. “You just ruined her surprise!”

“How long has he been out there?” I demanded to know, pulling my hand from Matthew’s as I started towards the open front door.

“It’s your fault!” Matthew insisted, crossing his arms angrily. “You’re the one who wouldn’t just come when I said I had a present.”

I scoffed as Spencer laughed, patting my back as I brushed past him. “I’ll say hi when you come back in,” he let me know in a chuckle. I nodded, pushing through the door and out onto the front step. Sure enough there stood Jared looking a little confused and uncomfortable.

The moment his eyes landed on me however his face turned up into an attempt at a smile. “If you changed your mind and this is a bad time-“