Chapter 55 | Unconditional Love

Start from the beginning

I comply, lifting my hands above my chest and letting Blake scrub my naked body as tenderly as he phyically can. His hands move with such care; that you would think he is touching the prettiest flowers.

I sit there with my eyes closed as he rinses me off and goes to fetch me a towel, leaving me in the cold bathroom.

In reality, the nurses should be the ones who are helping me, not my boyfriend. He's supposed to hold my hand and sit at my side, not help me use the bathroom or walk laps around the cancer wing.

When Blake returns, he gently wraps the towel around me and picks me up, probably noticing; I'm too tired to walk back to my bed. His strong arms pull me close to his chest, and I catch a whiff of his cologne. I lean my head into his body and think about how grateful I am that he is strong enough to lift me.

When we get back into the room, all the blinds and doors are closed, so he dresses me in a pair of grey sweatpants and a black short-sleeve that used to be tight on me but now fits like a loose piece of cloth.

I feel like a child, having to be dressed. I think Blake can notice that I'm beginning to grow weary because he places a soft kiss on my forehead, and tells me that he loves me.

I smile, but the feeling is short-lived when nausea hits me.

I can barely keep myself upright as my head spins from all the movement.

Blake pulls the blanket back, allowing me to fall beneath the covers and become as comfortable as possible with my headache. He then resumes his regular position of holding my hand and stroking my head with his thumb.

His eyes stay on my face, scanning for any signs of discomfort so he can immediately help me.

"Are you thirsty?" He whispers at a volume that shouldn't make me wince but does.

"Mn-mn," I say, unable to shake my head in response.

He lies his head on my chest; right above my heart, and makes himself comfortable. He's careful not to put all his weight on me, so I barely feel a thing.

I start to drift off before I hear shuffling at the door and squint my right eye open to see who it is.

I notice Elise standing in the doorway with a chocolate milkshake and a carton of onion rings. She must've just gotten off her shift and wanted to stop by.

By the look on her face, I can tell she is shocked to see me without hair. I know that she's trying not to show it, but a feeling of sadness overtakes her. She contemplates turning around before I catch her attention.

"Hey," I whisper, opening both eyes, "You can come in."

Elise reluctantly walks into the room, surveying the surrounding machines and finally making her way to the sleeping guy on my body.

"I can come another time if you're in the middle of something," She points to Blake.

I notice Blake is completely out, probably tired from the late nights of watching me sleep. He deserves a break from the constant stress that I cause him.

"No, you're not interrupting anything," I wave her over, careful not to wake him.

She walks to the other side of my bed and places the stuff in her hands on the nightstand next to me.

"How are you feeling?" She says in a quiet tone.

I contemplate lying to her. Telling her everything is fine and dandy, that nothing hurts anymore, and the chemotherapy seems to be working.

But then I look my best friend in the eyes and decide I have already lied to her enough. She deserves to know the truth, no matter how hard it may be to hear.