chapter 45- finally

(timeskip - one week later - july 12th)

"can you stay?" karl asks as soon as he ends his stream with a big smile on his face. i laugh and shrug.

"for how long?" i ask, though i think i already know the answer.

"forever?"

my body feels weightless. i expected him to ask to stay the night. not... that.

"i-"

"we could start with tonight, though?"

"i can stay for a bit longer, but i need to go shopping tomorrow morning. i'm dangerously low on... everything."

"i'll take you in the morning?"

"you really don't have to. you've been chauffeuring me around and accompanying me everywhere. i doubt you would enjoy an early morning shopping trip."

"i'd enjoy anything-"

"i'd enjoy anything with you, too, but look at yourself," i interrupt, moving a piece of hair that's falling in front of his eyes. "you've been working yourself to death and streaming like crazy. you need sleep."

"you've noticed?" karl asks, lightly rubbing the dark circles under his eyes.

"i'm not the only– jesus, your forehead is blazing hot!"

i press my entire hand against karl's forehead and notice his skin feels a lot warmer than usual. i move my hands down to his neck and, once again, his skin burns.

"yeah... i've had a fever for the past couple of days... i'm feeling better now though! i'll probably feel completely fine in the morning."

"why am i here if you have a fever?" i ask as i quickly roll away from him in my chair.

"well, i haven't kissed you since i got sick..."

"that doesn't matter! it's probably bad that i've just been next to you!"

"blondie, if you haven't gotten sick yet, you're not gonna get sick at all. you're fine."

"do you want me to pick up medicine tomorrow?" i ask, changing the subject. "i'll add it to my list. what do you need? tylenol? advil?"

karl smiles.

"tylenol would be nice."

"got it," i say, adding tylenol to my shopping list on my notes app. "how long have you felt sick?"

"three days. but i feel fine now!"

"you don't physically feel fine."

"but i mentally feel fine!"

"you– what?"

we stare at each other for a second before breaking out into laughter.

"now i really have to go," i say, checking my phone to see that it just hit 10 pm. "i'll bring you your tylenol tomorrow. text me how you're feeling when you wake up."

"yes ma'am," karl replies, doing a little salute. i get up and walk to the door of his office.

"see you tomorrow."

"i lo-"

my heart jumps into my throat as i turn back to face karl.

"i look forward to it," karl says, his face light pink.

"right. same here." i nod and exit the room.

am i imaging things? or was he about to say what i think he was?