chapter 19- comfortable

"rise and shine!" is the first thing i hear at 6:50 in the morning. i rub my eyes wearily and look up at karl standing above me, still in his sweats from last night.

"i have ten more minutes of sleep, go away," i say in a scratchy voice, putting my pillow over my head and turning away from him.

"what if the starbucks line is long? come on!" he grabs my arm and literally pulls me out of bed. even though my eyes are still half closed, i can see karl staring.

"you look so pretty all the time," he says suddenly. "even after just waking up, you're stunning."

"stop," i reply, covering my face with my hands.

"don't cover your pretty face!"

"karl!"

"okay okay! let's go, sleepy head."

i slip on my white air force 1's after noticing that karl has his shoes on as well, and we head to the parking lot. i see karl's black car immediately, and the two of us jump inside quickly.

when the car turns on and bluetooth connects, one direction immediately starts playing. i scoff and karl musters a smile.

"a swiftie and a directioner?" i ask as the song "perfect" plays. "you're just the ideal ladies man, aren't you?"

"am i your ideal ladies man?" he asks.

i scoff. should've seen that coming.

"you're my friend, karl. not my ideal man. you know that."

karl hangs his head in defeat after putting the car in reverse.

"it was worth a try."

the two of us go through the starbucks drive thru, which is pretty long. thank goodness we left early.

once at the window, the young girl helping us gasps at the sight of us.

"are you karl jacobs?" she asks, her voice getting shaky. karl nods his head and laughs.

"yeah," he replies. "nice to meet you."

"would you mind if i got a picture?"

"not at all!" karl turns to me, with my head hanging down and biting my nail anxiously. he then turns back to the girl working. "just make sure only you and i are in the frame, alright?"

the girl nods enthusiastically as karl leans out the window and they take the picture together. she then gives him our drinks and bids us farewell.

i let out a long sigh as karl hands me my coffee.

"so you're a big deal, huh?" i ask with a slight smile. karl shrugs.

"i dunno. what do you consider a big deal?"

"i consider a starbucks employee fangirling over you a pretty big fucking deal."

"oh yeah, i'm sorry that happened, by the way. you didn't look too happy about it."

i wave my hand in front of him as if saying "it's whatever."

"comes with being your friend, i guess. i'll get used to it."

"my friend. yeah."

*.:。✧*.。✰*.:。✧*.。✰*.:。✧*.。✰*.:。✧*.。✰

when we get to my old house, i cringe slightly at the sight. i haven't missed this place at all.

i text ava that i'm here, and a couple seconds later she comes dashing out the door.