Chapter 3: "Rain" vs Samson

Start from the beginning

Rain 2000 LP/ Samson 2000 LP

Looking at her hand, (Y/N) felt confidence: three monsters, a trap card, and an equip spell. She drew.
"I'll set a monster facedown and set a facedown, and end my turn."
Both cards appeared facedown on the field before turning it over to Samson.

Tristan looked puzzled. "That didn't seem like a stellar first move."
"Actually, it was." Yugi argued.
Joey tilted his head. "How come?"
"Samson knows Rain's deck. By not showing her hand outright, she's forcing him to gamble on which cards she has set out. And judging by the look on his face, he knows there are probably some nasty counters in her deck. She's starting out with mind games."

Rain 2000 LP/Samson 2000 LP

Just as Yugi said, Samson looked quite nervous. He knew from their many duels over the summer, Rain always made sure to mix up her openings to keep on his toes.
(Y/N) smiled kindly. "You okay over there?"
Samson chuckled nervously. "You're pushing me to gamble here. That's cold, Rain."
"Relax. Have confidence in your abilities and analyze your best moves."
"All right. I summon Ancient Elf to the field in attack mode."
A tall elf with black hair and purple and blue armor materialized on the field, wielding a large purple wand.

Ancient Elf
1450 ATK/1200 DEF

"Now, I'll attack your facedown! Go, Ancient Elf!"
The monster sent a magical attack careening at the facedown monster. When it made contact, it was revealed to be The Courageous Mokk. It was a cute and petite little mammal which was very ferret-like. Its long, thin tail with a large tuft of fur at the end was curled around its body in defense position, and it's large yellow eyes were wide with alertness.

The Courageous Mokk
100 ATK/800 DEF—130 ATK/1,040 DEF due to Forest Terrain Bonus
(feel free to call me out since I suck at math; also I didn't do it for Weevil's duel, since we can look up the actual points)

The little monster let out a sad whine as it was destroyed. However, (Y/N) was more than ready for this.
"I activate my trap card: Dwellers of the Forest! Since you destroyed a beast type monster in battle, I can summon a new one from my hand in attack mode to take its place. I summon Kwolok, Guardian of the Marsh!"
A large toad-like monster with an entire garden growing on its back took the place of Mokk, croaking menacingly with glowing blue eyes.

Kwolok, Guardian of the Marsh
1800 ATK/2000 DEF—2,340 ATK/2600 DEF due to Forest Terrain Bonus

Samson paled. "Well should've seen that one coming. I place two facedowns and end my turn."

"That's one nasty looking frog!" Joey yelled. "Way to get that big guy out, Rain!"
"I think it's a toad." Tea corrected.
"Who cares! That thing looks ready to flatten the field!"
"Hey, does Rain seem...different?" Tristan asked. "She seems way more focused now."
Yugi looked closer and agreed with Tristan. Rain seemed way more composed and had a different aura than the usually jovial girl.
"Yeah, she seems completely different."
Tea began laughing. "Wow, she's just like you, Yugi!"
The boy blushed. "Eh!?"
Joey joined in the teasing. "Yeah. Dueling seems to bring out something fierce in both of ya! I'd love to see what happens if you two dueled it out."
"Well, she did promise us both a duel later...I guess we can see then."
Yugi felt a bit embarrassed, especially with how his male friends seemed to be smirking with teasing energy, but some part of him felt happy to have this similarity with Rain. Though, he wondered: did she also have gaps in her memory?

Rain 2000 LP/Samson 2000 LP

As the peanut gallery continued to talk about how similar Yugi and Rain were, (Y/N) drew and began the next turn.
"I draw. Next, I summon Ori the Forest Guardian!"
Another mammalian creature took to the field. This one was about the size of Mokk, but with bright, almost glowing white fur. It looked like a combination of a bunny, a baby goat, and a cat. It had big, expressive, black eyes with white pupils. For a monster, it looked quite cuddly.