Passed The Test

There was a period of silence, during which I felt like I was in some kind of tunnel, a tunnel of sheer horror where all my surroundings disappeared. It was like a state one travelled into, when all their worst dreams had come true. But suddenly I was out of the tunnel; the silence was broken, broken by my own voice.

"You know, Day," I heard myself say. "You should really add the word 'Bad' before your name when you introduce yourself next time, or maybe even 'Dooms'."

She looked at me and smiled, now back on her rock, still and calm as though nothing had happened. "Thank you Crystal," she said. "I didn't imagine you would take this too lightly."

"Well, obviously," I said slowly. "It's completely inhumane."

Day cupped her hands around her thin lips and leaned in my direction from her seat. "We're not human," she said in a loud whisper.

"How could you imagine I would ever do that to my parents?" I said. "There's no point in holding your stupid vote. I would never do that."

"Well, we actually thought we were being quite reasonable by imposing a vote, by letting The Jewel decide your, well actually, their future," said Day. "You can speak to the people at the event, tell them your point of view on the matter, and we shall also be there to express ours – which is that you should come here only with a swift, clean break from your world. Your entire world."

"Why don't you just let her show her family where she is going?" said Spirit. "Let them meet Llyr. That's all she wants."

I turned my head, surprised.

"Well, do you know what Spirit; we think that given the circumstances, Crystal's sudden disappearance might be the best thing for our species. It will make humans think twice about chasing us out to sea if they can see we are no force to be reckoned with. We should allow her no such farewell party that you speak of. Before you know it, all the nosy children of Starfish will be queuing up to do the same – finding some irresponsible mer to kiss them one thousand times. Well, we want absolutely no such thing. If she leaves suddenly, mysteriously, then we will send them a message that this is no ordinary situation and that there is a big price."

I shook my head. "My parents wouldn't say anything, especially if they knew it jeopardizes them seeing me."

"Yes, but even then we still run the risk of them hunting us down, trying to see you all the time," said Day. "We've tolerated it for years with that old man."

"George?" I said, defensively.

"Thank you Crystal, George," said Day. "The George case has been a disaster. He's been obsessed with us for decades, and he's plied Crystal with knowledge of our affairs over the years, played a role, no doubt, in the continuing of this relationship here. Who knows what the impact will be when two more humans are connected to us so intimately. I mean, you are their child, their only child. They're hardly going to just let you swim off into the sunset, are they? They will want you back. Who knows, they might even come and try and get you back - with George, and with the equipment to do so. Which loving parent wouldn't? Don't tell me you haven't considered this?"

We were all silent. The truth was, I had not thought they would do this, but if I ever managed to convince them that the mer existed at all, then it was indeed obvious they would be more than reluctant to let me leave them.

"But this is not the right way," said Llyr eventually. He sounded so upset, this appeared all he could manage.

"Your people can decide if it is the right way or not," said Day. "We're tired of you and your scandals Llyr. It's time to step in, as guardians of the northern waters."

Llyr opened his mouth again, but Ri held up his hand to stop him. "He loves this woman, this maid," said Ri. "I have tried everything to put a stop to it, but I cannot. Their love is strong. I have come to believe that things will be different this time around."

I looked at Ri through glassy eyes.

"That's ever so sweet," said Day flatly. "But we've come to believe that we cannot take your word on such matters. Right, the vote will be next week, and it shall be held in the Grand Hall of the Amethyst Palace. This will give you and us the least but fairest amount of time to petition our causes to the public. Crystal, you can see Llyr once in the meantime, and we will give you a queue as to when, and only if, we think this is safe. During your week at home, you will not mention anything about us to your parents, least of all your desire to move here."

I glanced at Ri, but his eyes flitted quickly away. I was guessing he hadn't told them that he had permitted me that much.

"You will stay beneath the waters this evening," continued Day, "and you will be escorted back before day breaks in the early hours by one of our own men. They will collect you from the palace. This is all final, and if you cannot follow these instructions then we will take it that you are incapable of following instructions at all, which will have much bigger implications for your future with us. May the Lords of the Ocean Forests and the Lady of the Great Sea Mountain watch over you all."

With that, The Ichthyocentaurs rose out of their stone seats and into a ring above us. They bowed deeply to one another and then disbanded across the temple, swooping towards the seabed, and disappearing under potholes. The water rippled around us but soon it steadied again and we were left alone, in a ghostly silence.

"Father," said Llyr to Ri, as he rose from his seat. I looked at him, I had never heard him say 'Father' before.

Ri glided towards the big stone slowly. I looked at his face. It was calm again, but his expression was extremely serious.

He hovered as he passed us. "I will make my way to the palace ahead of you if you don't mind," he said, before continuing.

I looked at Llyr. He watched Ri sadly, as he aligned his enormous body in front of the pot hole, in preparation to launch through it. Despite my torment, I couldn't help but feel a little worried he might not fit. I felt my eyes widen, as he rocketed towards the hole but I needn't have worried, he appeared to shoot right through with no problem at all. Phew, I'm not sure we all could have coped with a 'Winnie the Pooh' situation on top of everything else.

Spirit too, was back by the hole. "I will travel with him," he said briefly, before disappearing himself.

As soon as we were alone, I let my tears flow. I had been holding them in for hours now, ever since my last outbreak with George earlier, but I could no longer contain myself. They shot out around me in a million little bubbles and Llyr put his arms around me and he buried his head in my shoulder, as I sobbed.

"I'm so sorry," I managed to gasp, as my body shook.

"Crystal," he murmured soothingly in my ear. "I know it's horrible, but I think it's going to be okay."

I remained silent. Despite his visible distress, he sounded confident enough, yet I kept thinking of Spirit's words earlier: Some think you are fascinating, but others think you are a pain. Was there enough mer who thought I was a pain to vote in The Ichthyocentaurs' favour?

I looked up at Llyr, I was still crying and my tears shot up into his face. "Sorry," I whispered again, brushing away the bubbles from where they had settled on his cheek.

"It's okay," he said. "Your sorrow is my sorrow."

"Do you wish you'd never met me?" I asked.

"No," he said, looking deep into my eyes. "I thank Nodens and all the other gods every single day for your very existence. I have told you many times, I would do anything for you, for us."

I nodded and wiped away more tears before they shot into his face again. I have to say, he really has passed the test on that one. And if the public vote against me, then I too will be faced with my test. Will I truly do anything for him?