Triathalon

My best friend Jemima was staring at me in horror. She sat in the boat alongside my good island friend Rosie, and another red-headed girl, whose name I seemed to recall was Portia. As I studied her briefly I remembered that we went to school together and that she too was from the island. They were all wrapped up in winter coats and huddled together.

My heart thudded in my chest and my mind swirled. How on Earth am I going to explain this one?

"Wh-what are you doing here?" I stammered.

"What are WE doing here?!" shrieked Jemima, staring at me in amazement. Her eyes were wide with alarm and somewhere amongst my own shock and horror, I felt a stab of guilt. I loved this girl more than anything, but she had no idea about Llyr. I could not tell her. Only the teeny population of island dwellers knew of the sea people, and only the island dwellers could actually see them. They made themselves invisible to every other human.

I, unfortunately, did not possess this power, like Llyr and the other mer. If I did I would have made myself invisible and let them just think their minds were playing tricks on them. But alas, here I was, half naked in open water at the crack of dawn.

I glanced at Llyr and I could tell he had made himself invisible to Jemima. He looked pained for me, and he reached under the water and squeezed my hand.

"Erm, well, I-," I began.

The engine had cut out and the boat was drifting now, floating closer towards me with every wave. I was truly horrified. I just didn't know what to say.

"She's just on another of her morning swims," cried Rosie, her voice strained. I looked at her desperately. Is she going to throw me a lifeline?

Rosie and I were tight friends at school, and we were especially close during that incredible summer when I was seventeen when I had first met Llyr. She was my only friend who knew all about him and had been there for me throughout our whole roller coaster relationship. Being an islander, she had long been aware of these supernaturals living beneath the oceans. There was a quiet understanding between Starfish populates and the merfolk. Although she had never come to know any of the sea-people before, she respected them, and kept their secret, like all Islanders.

"What do you mean she's on one of her swims?" shrieked Jemima, now reaching over the boat with both her hands. I could see her small blue eyes were gleaming with panic as she stretched her arms out towards me.

"One of my swims," I echoed weakly.

"Didn't you know?" said Rosie. She reminded me of a circus ringleader, whose show was on the brink of disaster, but who had to keep it all going somehow.

"Know what?" whispered Jemima, looking at her with an almost disgust. It was an expression that read; 'Why the hell are you supportive of this?'

"Well, about Crystal's Triathlon..." said Rosie.

"Er, no!" shouted Jemima. Her brow was creased in disdain and disbelief.

A Triathlon? Is that not some kind of mad race, involving a mammoth run, swim and a cycle? Of course, Rosie is a genius!

"Yes, I'm practicing..." I began, "for the big race. It's coming up soon, Jemima. I swim out here and back five times every morning."

"But-"protested Jemima, "Shouldn't you be wearing more than a bikini? Aren't you freezing?"

"Well, I will be if I don't keep moving," I said stretching out my arms to launch off in the direction of the island.

"You are ins-" Jemima cut out. I knew she was going to say the word insane but had stopped herself. When I had become trapped as a mermaid for two weeks at the beginning of the summer, Rosie had had to tell her that I had been sectioned in hospital following a breakdown.

"I'm doing it for charity," I said awkwardly. "A mental health charity."

"Can we at least take you back?" said Jemima pleadingly. "I seriously cannot just leave you out here all on your own like this."

I glanced at Llyr and he nodded.

"Okay," I agreed quietly. I frowned, I would not be able to say goodbye to him now. We hadn't even arranged when we would next see each other.

As always, he read my feelings perfectly. He leaned forward and whispered in my ear, "I will come to see you tomorrow sun-down. Be strong, I love you."

I wanted to speak back, but Jemima would think I was talking to myself and probably call an ambulance. I nodded subtly and took Jemima's hands, allowing her to help me climb into the boat.

Once on board, I sat down next to Jemima and let her bundle me in her coat.

"Thanks," I said, looking down. "I guess it is a little cold now I'm out of the water."

Jemima didn't even reply, and the other two girls were also silent. Rosie started up the boat and we began to move towards Starfish. I turned around to look for Llyr, and I saw he was still there, where I had left him. He was watching on, and as I caught his eye, I could see worry in them.

I bit my lip and turned back round. Portia's eyes were watching Llyr with curiosity. She must have realised that Jemima could not see him and she would have therefore realised that he was a mer.

We may have managed to keep Jemima from the truth but now Portia would know my secret. I exhaled a long shaky breath. Oh man, this is not good.

"What were you guys doing out here at this time anyway?" I asked, breaking the awkward silence.

"Well, we were just going to the dress makers in St Carolina's," said Rosie. "Jemima has an appointment at nine am, so we have to leave early..."

My eyes widened in further despair. Jemima was getting married soon, and I was supposed to be her maid of honour. Please, God, don't tell me she told me about this and I'd forgotten. I looked at her with panic and she rolled her eyes.

"I only found out yesterday," she said. "I called and called, but your phone was off."

I relaxed a little and leaned back. Phew.

"Yes, we even called by your house yesterday," said Rosie. "Jemima and Portia stayed over at mine so we could travel together."

I sat back up, arrested by panic all over again. "Did you see my parents?" I asked.

Crap, I had told them I was with Jemima!

"Don't worry Crystal, they weren't there," said Rosie, reading my thoughts. Rosie knew I usually told them I was with Jemima when I was really with Llyr.

"Er, why would she be worried?" said Jemima, suspiciously.

Oh God!

"Just because I... want them to get out of the house more," I lied. This was a stupid ridiculous lie, but what other choice did I have?

"Huh?" said Jemima. "They're, like, constantly on the go."

"Yeah, but lately they've been a pair of couch potatoes. I think they're getting older..." Grr, this was getting stupid now. I needed a change of subject. "So maybe I can get dressed quickly and come with you to St Carolina's," I said.

For the first time since our horrible encounter, Jemima's face brightened.

"Really?" she said, smiling at me.

I felt a wave of sadness. Was I so preoccupied of late, that she would be surprised that I would attend a dress fitting with her? It was her big day, and I was her bestest friend.

"Obviously!" I cried. "I'll be really quick."

"Yay!" cried Rosie, also relaxing. An entirely different mood suddenly took over the boat, as we homed into my jetty. It was now one of excitement and happiness. I too felt uplifted, it would be great fun to go to the fitting with Rosie and Jemima!

"Just as well we bumped into you then, eh?" said Portia, as I stood up to get out of the boat.

I paused and looked at her. She looked back and although she smiled, I felt my stomach lurch. I hoped she was going to be discrete about this all, but as I climbed onto the jetty, I realised that I had a very bad feeling.