The Come Again?

That evening, after sun-down, I made my way down the stairs. Llyr collected me this time every night and we would go to our beach. I told my mum and dad that I was going out on the mainland, and would no doubt end up staying with Jemima.

"Okay, darling," said Dad distractedly, looking up from his book.

But Mum hadn't been such a pushover.

"You seem to be doing a lot of going out, Crystal," she said, eyebrows raised disapprovingly.

"Yes..." I sighed, trailing off.

"I can't see how you afford it, you're not exactly earning," she said pointedly.

Ever since I had moved back to Starfish, she had been hinting heavily that I needed to get a job. I felt a sting in my heart and I did up the laces on my trainers quickly. I was still very much raw from my phone conversation with Philippa Wentworth.

"Well, people buy me drinks..." I mumbled, moving quickly into the kitchen. "Boys, mainly."

"I thought perhaps there was a fellow involved in all this going out business," Dad suddenly piped up.

I laughed nervously. "Okay got to run guys, love you," I said, swinging open the back door.

"She must be part of Jemima and Henry's furniture by now," I heard Mum say as I stepped out into the cool night air.

I let out a shaky breath. Oh, lordy, I really hope they do not cross paths with either Jemima or her father anytime soon. I actually really should start going over there more often.

Not only would I be able to spend some much-required time with my best friend, but there was also a very real possibility I may get caught out soon if I didn't. I would talk to Llyr about it tonight, I decided, as I crossed the garden towards the Ocean Stairway.

***

Later on, we lay on the beach, far away from Coney Bay nightlife. I was really tired, for some reason, even though I had had a huge nap before I came out. I found myself falling asleep early before the sun had even fully set.

Some hours later, I stirred and when I opened my eyes I could see the sky was now black. I could hear hushed voices, from just beside me, and as I came to, I began to recognise them. It was Llyr and Spirit.

I was momentarily confused. Wasn't he supposed to have come in a couple of days' time? He must have come back early.

They were having an intense conversation and I lay there awkwardly, with my back to them. Should I let them know I was awake?

"They are getting all fidgety about the whole thing," Spirit was saying.

"Well, they will just have to fidget," Llyr said, sounding slightly irritated.

"They really are serious about this one," Spirit continued. "They are saying they are going to come into the kingdom and intervene if you don't..."

Don't what? What is going on?

"She wants to but not right this moment," said Llyr.

"They want it to happen right now," said Spirit. "I'm sure I don't need to remind you that they hold a large amount of power, as pompous as they fucking are."

Llyr sighed. "Okay, I will speak with her," he said. I suddenly felt the burn of their eyes on my back and I squeezed my own eyes shut.

They were quiet for a moment, and then Llyr continued. "I dislike our whole system, anyway. There is too much power among too fewer mer."

"Yourself and your father are among those few mer, you know?" said Spirit bluntly.

I chewed the inside of my mouth to stop a giggle escaping. He was right.

"Well, if I had it my way, it would not be like this..." replied Llyr.

"Well, for now, your position is a virtue," Spirit cut in, "given your current circumstances. Anyway, I wanted to tell you this, but I must go now," he said.

"Thank you," said Llyr, "for making the journey to share this with me."

"That's fine," Spirit replied. "I hope you will be able to resolve this."

They said goodbye and then I heard Spirit's footsteps on the sand. As the footsteps changed into splashes in the water, I felt Llyr's cheek next to mine.

"I know you're awake," he whispered.

I bit my lip and rolled onto my back so that I was looking up at him.

"What were you talking about?" I asked.

"The Ichthyocentaurs," said Llyr, rolling his eyes.

"The come again?" I said.

"Well, the Ichthyocentaurs were ancient sea gods, who were guardians of the sea. They were supposed to be part man, part horse, part fish, with lobster claws for the horns on their heads..."

Whilst I truly was fascinated in the mythology I really wanted him to get to the point.

"Who are they?" I asked impatiently

"A group of old, annoying mers," he said, running his finger over my cheek.

"But what do they do?" I said.

Well, like their grandiose name suggests, they watch over mers in the northerly seas, and unfortunately, they happen to be based right outside The Jewel," said Llyr.

I suddenly realised what was going on. "They're not happy about us, right?"

"It's a bit more than that," said Llyr, looking away.

I felt stressed all of a sudden. "Well, what?" I said.

"Spirit has been speaking with them, during his time on the outskirts..."

"Yes, yes, building the temple..."

"Yes, he built it for them," he said. "And during this project, he came to learn their views on the matter. Crystal, they are saying we cannot be together unless you come and live under the seas, as a mer," he said, pausing. "And that you have to do it now."