A Mad Rush

The next hour felt like it was going by in slow motion. It was all so excruciating. Every time the ore was lifted out of the waters, it felt as though it were about ten minutes before it dipped under again. I knew I was suffering from chronic impatience and it took all the restraint in the world to stop myself from barking, "hurry up!"

George was actually a very fast rower, especially considering he was pushing seventy years-old. It was the mer in him that kept him so super strong, and it was the mer in both of us that allowed us to see the jet black ocean around us.

"How will we draw their attention to us?" I asked, looking out across the waters wearily. The sea surface was barren and inky, there was no sign of any mer-life whatsoever. Still, who could blame them for being shy of boats at the moment?

Oh, I really didn't want to have to swim down into the kingdom on my own. I would get lost and arrive a late, flustered wreck.

"Hmm, it sure is quiet tonight... I could have a bit of a shout," said George, "Let 'em know someone's here."

"Really?" I asked dubiously from my bench. I didn't much feel like bellowing out into the night either. It didn't seem like the most glamorous of arrivals.

"Just leave it to the old man," said George, visibly amused by my hesitance. I forced a smile and then looked on ahead, silently surveying the surface in the hope that it wouldn't come to that.

After drifting for a further five minutes, he stood and I squirmed as he began to holler out in the old fashioned mer-language. I cringed and leaned back against the stern as we waited, placing my hands to my temples.

As embarrassing as this was, I had to admit, his knowledge of their tongue was certainly advantageous. If they were out there, they would know this was a mer-friendly intruder and not just a stupid nosy human.

After five agonising moments, I too joined in, trying to repeat some of George's sentences. Even if it were broken mer-language, at least Llyr might hear and realize it was me.

Suddenly there was a splash and I sat up eagerly.

"What are you doing?" came a voice. A giggle of relief escaped my lips as I recognized the mer below.

"Spirit!" I cried happily.

He didn't reply he just looked at me incredulously, awaiting an answer. His trusty spear poked out from beneath the surface, its blade glinting in the moonlight.

"We were trying to get somebody's attention," George explained. "It was as dead as a dinosaur out here."

"I thought it was a pack of seagulls," he said disdainfully.

Ordinarily, I would have been irritated by his thorny tongue but tonight, I was over the moon to see him.

"I am late for a meeting," I said hurriedly, "with the Icy- whatever they're called. I don't know where it is – or anything, but I need to get there. Please help me Spirit."

He rolled his eyes, and suddenly felt my mood shift from high to low.

"Honestly, I'm so sorry about all of this. I really do appreciate everything you've both done for me, I know it is not easy for you," I said looking at both George and Spirit. "I am just hoping that this will be the end of it, that we can resolve all this chaos tonight."

"I did wonder what Llyr and Ri were doing just now, in the new temple," said Spirit wearily, extending a hand up to me.

I took it gratefully and kicked off my shoes into the boat, before clambering into the water below, still fully clothed. "They were there?" I gasped hopefully, forcing off my jeans and underwear. "In the temple you built, for the Icy-Ic-eugh, why can't I say it?"

"The Ichthyocentaurs, yes," he said, stonily.

"Okay, great," I said, taking off my t-shirt, and chucking my soaking clothes back into the boat. "So, that's where the meeting is then."

I suddenly realised he wasn't listening to me, instead, his eyes were now fixed on my completely naked body.

I crossed my arms over my chest, cursing myself for the seven-millionth time that day. I was so obsessed with getting to the meeting that I had just stripped off in front of him. I wasn't even wearing my bikini. God, what was I doing?

I really couldn't wait for the day when my head was screwed on tightly again.

He blinked slowly and then sunk beneath the surface. I looked up at George who had turned his back. I cringed and bit my lip.

'Thank you,' I shouted up at him, before slipping beneath the gentle black waves.