Stays on the Island

"Why were you getting all psycho in the shop earlier?" asked Jemima as we queued in the café. Rosie and Portia had taken a seat in a booth by the window, and we were in line to order us all some much-deserved breakfast.

I sighed. The truth was I had been questioning the same thing myself, ever since the accessories fiasco.

"I mean, it's usually me who's the possessive one," Jemima continued, "and you're like, the chilled one."

This was true, Jemima had always been crazy paranoid about me and Rosie 'going off' with one another, and we had always laughed at her. It had always seemed so petty, but I had come to see it as endearing over the years.

Today, however, I had been the jealous one.

"I think it has something to do with me feeling like I'm being a crap friend at the moment," I said slowly. I think this was the truth. I had not been about much lately, and it was the run up to her big day, the most important time of her life. Rosie, however, seemed to be all hands on deck and I realised I may have taken my guilt out on our adorable, and very loyal friend.

I was starting to feel really bad, especially as she had covered up that serious situation for me earlier out at sea.

"It's okay," said Jemima. " You don't have to be there all the time, you have your own life."

"But I'm your maid of honour," I said.

"Yeah, but all that really means is that you're my special person," said Jemima. "If Rosie likes to organise, you should just let her..."

"Okay..." I agreed, smiling. "But I want to help too. I will get better, I promise."

"Where have you been anyway?" said Jemima, frowning.

"Well..." I began, a little flustered. "I've just been, you know, at home quite a lot. And training... of course."

"Seriously, are you okay?" said Jemima, her brow furrowed. She was still thinking I was on the verge of another breakdown, I could tell.

"Yes," I said quickly, willing for the woman in front of us to hurry up. It was a stout lady dressed in a pink and white gingham shirt. I paused suddenly, glancing sideways at Jemima. I really, really hope she doesn't mention my swim to her dad. Henry works for the coastguards, and may well feel the need to intervene...

"I'm always here for you," said Jemima pointedly.

"Uh-huh," I said slowly, as I thought about the best way to play this. "I'm absolutely fine, Jems," I said eventually. "You should really just worry about yourself."

Jemima flinched. "Okay..."

"I mean, what are you wasting your time over silly old me for, Bridey? I've always been into that crazy charity stuff," I lied, skipping towards the counter, as the woman finally shuffled on. "I'm surprised you didn't know." If I play the whole thing down, maybe she'll just think it's all in her head and forget about it.

I ordered our food before Jemima could get another word in, and then I shot back to the table before the conversation could continue any further. Jemima trailed behind me, looking at a loss.

"Where are the coffees?" said Rosie as we arrived, empty-handed.

"Oh, damn, we forgot them," said Jemima, and we turned to go back to the counter.

"Oh, sit down Crystal, I'll go with her," said Rosie, jumping up.

I smiled and sat down gratefully. As I watched them return to the counter, I couldn't help but wonder if Rosie was secretly feeling a little jealous too. I mean, she had been friends with Jemima since they were kids. I had been the new girl when we had been in sixth-form yet five years later, I had bagged the 'special person,' role. It was fair to suppose she may be a little peeved. Maybe I really should just sit back and let her have a more prominent role after all.

I suddenly realised I was alone with Portia and was quickly reminded of my other predicament.

"Look, Portia," I began turning to her. "I'd really, really appreciate it, if you would keep quiet about what you saw this morning," I said.

Portia smiled and nodded. "Of course, Crystal. Whatever happens on the island stays on the island."

She seemed sincere enough and I smiled, now satisfied. I sat back in my chair and felt that lovely sensation of a huge weight being lifted from my shoulders.

It was only until later, after breakfast, when we sailed back to Starfish that something began to niggle at me. I replayed Portia's response in my head and realised something. She had not actually ruled out gossiping about my secret to the other islanders.