Euphoria

"So did you lure me out to sea somehow?" I asked as we swam back to Starfish. It was daybreak and Llyr and I swam deep beneath the waves, our bodies grazing the seabed as we travelled. I wanted to know more about how we first met.

"No, I was in luck. Suddenly the whole party was in the sea. You were all so drunk, I backed away a little, but then I saw you searching through the other humans."

"And then the current pulled me out..." I recalled.

"No, actually that was me," he smiled. "I thought, 'how am I going to get this girl to myself?' And when you were separated from the others, I thought I would draw the water out towards me, and try and bring you with it."

I stopped swimming. "Er, excuse me? You- we can do that?"

Llyr smiled mysteriously and then swam ahead of me. I watched on curiously, as he turned and then raised his hand out into the water as though to summon it.

I felt a pull. "Oh, my-heeelllp," I yelped as I flew through the waters towards him, landing in his arms. It was like a magical conveyor belt.

He scooped me up into his arms, so my tail was curled up by his chest and laughed

"I was terrified!" I cried out, remembering how my life had flashed before my eyes during those moments out at sea. "I thought I was going to die."

"Sorry," he said, smiling.

"I can't believe you! I hate you!" I screamed, jokingly.

He raised his eyebrows suddenly, before quickly scanning around us for any watch-mer, remembering the curfew.

"We have to be quiet," he whispered smiling, leaning down towards my lips.

I remained there in his arms for quite a while; our kisses quickly grew deep and passionate. I felt more in love than ever this morning, if at all possible. I just couldn't believe we were engaged.

"I'm so happy!" I said eventually, wrapping my arms around his neck and looking up contentedly.

"Mmm, me too," he agreed, squeezing me tightly to him. Everything seemed so perfect for a few moments until I remembered our rather huge predicament.

"Llyr?" I whispered.

"Hmm?"

"What are we going to say to the Ich-thing-a-me-jigs?"

"The Ichthyocentaurs?"

"Yes," I said. "What in the world of shimmering shells, can we possibly say to make this better?"

He looked somewhat amused by my poetic use of language, even if secretly I had heavily paraphrased it from Nephys. But he soon fell serious again. "Just leave it to me."

"Okay," I said, a little weakly. I didn't want to say anything, but last time I had done this, he had failed to mention a rather major detail.

He nodded and looked at me, "I will fix this for us," he vowed.

I couldn't believe how calm he always remained, even in the direst of straights. "Okay," I agreed.

"Crystal, George is going to come to you today and tell you what you must do to get to the meeting later. I am not supposed to collect you."

I bit my lip and nodded, even though I was secretly worried. I hope I don't have to swim to The Jewelled Kingdom on my own, I don't know the way. The ocean's nothing but sea and sand to me, I wouldn't recognise any landmarks or have any form of internal compass. I would get lost without another mer by my side.

"I will request they escort you, somehow," he said, taking my hand and swimming along. "Let's be silent now, we don't want to be seen breaking their curfew."