Big Heart, Little Heart

The rest of the day went by quickly. I caught a fish with my bare hands, trying not to squeal as it wiggled about in my fingers. Llyr had then killed it, in the kindest possible of ways. We then took the fish to our island, gutted it and heated it over a fire.

"I have never done this before," said Llyr as we sat there roasting the fish and looking out at the waves. It had turned into quite a blustery day and they were rolling into the shore with quite some force.

Llyr and the mer always seemed to eat their fish raw, and cut into clean chunks, slightly reminiscent of sashimi. I quite liked it, but I was tired of eating it all the time. The only alternative was the vegetation they ate — seaweed and other ocean plants. I did not like them at all and I had suggested we try to cook tonight.

"Maybe you'll like it," I said hopefully, as he pulled it off the fire. Under the skin was chunky white flesh, it looked like a very meaty fish.

Llyr took a bite and I watched his face. He frowned, and I could see he was finding the whole experience quite strange. Eventually, he nodded and looked at me.

"You hate it, don't you?" I said sadly.

"No, it's okay," he said, having some more. "The sensation of a heat in my mouth is very curious though."

I nodded and picked at my own piece. It was delicious and perfectly flavoured by the naturalness of the sea salt. After a whole day swimming, I was famished. I ate the whole thing in no time.

"Well, I can see you enjoyed it," he smiled as I put down the bone and sighed contently. I nodded and smiled, but I could see he was still struggling with his own bit.

"We can eat the raw stuff next time," I offered.

"Don't worry, I've been eating the raw stuff for three hundred and fifty years," he said, putting some more into his mouth. Eventually, he managed to finish and we lay down together in the sand.

"What do you think Spirit wants to talk to us about?" I asked, as he wrapped his arms around me and I lay my head on his chest. The thought had been playing about in the back of my mind all day, but I had been too distracted by our supper shenanigans to ask.

Llyr shook his head. "I really don't know," he said, running his hand over my arm.

I wasn't entirely sure either. I mean, was it really something that concerned both of us? Is he finding it awkward, with what happened between me and him? No, he would no way mention it if he were, and besides, he was the one who urged Llyr to come and find me after I left Evergreen. He seemed perfectly okay, anyway, frolicking about with those mountain mers.

As I pondered the issue, a tattoo on Llyr's forearm caught my eye. I had not noticed it before. It was the bold outline of a little circle and a bigger one. "Is that the earth and the moon?" I asked, tracing my fingers over the circles.

"No," he replied. "It's called my big heart and my little heart."

"Yeah?" I said, looking up at him.

"My big heart is for people whom I love, and the decisions I make will always be led by my big heart, I will always do right by them" he explained.

I smiled up at him. It was true, he did always think about the people he loved.

"So what's the little heart, then?" I asked.

"The little heart is for my enemies," he replied. "When I have to make a decision about my enemies, I will use my little heart to do so."

"What, do you mean like... mercy?" I asked.

"Yes, I suppose so," said Llyr.

I suddenly remembered the summer we met when I had been kidnapped and held hostage by the Chief Executive of the power station Dad had been battling against. Dad had managed to get hold of some damning documents, but I had been pulled off my jetty and taken out to sea by Mr. Geake, the Chief Executive, and his hideous business partner. Llyr had come to my rescue and literally demolished the business partner, upon arrival.

"So, were you thinking with your little heart, that day on the boat with Gerraint Geake?" I asked.

"No," Llyr said, his eyes flashed with anger. "He hurt you. I did not think with my little heart, he was not worthy of it and I am still glad that they are both dead."

I raised my eyebrows. It was shocking to hear him say such words, whatever the case. He was such a gentle soul. I'd had a lot of explaining to do when the coastguards showed up on the scene afterward and Llyr had disappeared. However, as the bodies were never recovered, there was not much anyone could do about it.

They were bad men, who were killers themselves, but I wouldn't have wished death on anyone, personally. Still, maybe if anybody hurt Llyr or somebody else I loved, I may feel differently.

Llyr lay there tensely for a while, still clearly thinking about the whole series of events. I looked up at him, he was staring ahead at the sky.

"I'm okay now," I said, "but I guess what you're saying is that the big heart eclipses the little one?"

He smiled, relaxing again. "Yes, it would seem so."

"I think I like your heart philosophy," I said.

"Do you want some?" said Llyr suddenly.

"Some what?" I asked.

"Body ink?" he said, sounding excited.

"A tattoo?" I cried.

"Yes," he said, sitting up. "I would love to gift you some."

I bit my lip, I wasn't sure. It was one of those things I had contemplated over the years but had never thought of anything I liked that much.

"What of?" I said hesitantly.

"I will think of something," he said.

"Hmm, let's see what you come up with then..." I said, laughing.

It had been another beautiful day.