Byakko's Lair

Previously:

"Well, shall we go?" Kurama said pleasantly.

The ground began to shake. A horribly familiar roar began to echo from somewhere below.

"Don't tell me," groaned Yusuke.

1-2-3-4-5

"He's alive. Hurry, it's collapsing!" Kurama led the way off the platform they were standing on and towards the castle tower as the stones beneath their feet started crumbling to the ground.

Byakko's disembodied voice taunted them. "So, human. You've proven to be quite a worthy prey."

"Hey, aren't you dead yet?" Kuwabara asked out loud.

"Ha! Very much alive! And to reward your strength, I'm inviting you into my lair. My Room of Hell."

"Sounds lovely." Kagome smiled sarcastically, "Will there be mimosas?"

"What if we say no?" Kurama said fiercely.

Byakko laughed. "You don't want to say no."

Kuwabara smirked, "Just lead the way, Byakko. I'll go wherever you want."

The opened to reveal a very hot stone hallway.

"Oh, that's great." Yusuke complained, "Now we're walking into a preheated over."

"Who cares." Kuwabara grumbled, "As long as it leads to Byakko."

"Okay. You go first."

Kurama rolled his eyes, "Come on."

"Yeah," Kagome said, pulling everyone in, "quit being such babies."

"Babies?" Kuwabara looked at Yusuke, "What happened to your cousin?"

"Beats me."

The five of them walked through the small tunnel and entered a room that was filled with lava that stretched across the cavern. Peppered throughout were small stone platforms, strategically placed certain distances apart.

"Give me a break!" Yusuke jumped back from the ledge, "I guess Room of Hell wasn't just a clever name." He looked down in dismay, "That's..."

"Lava." Kuwabara ripped off a piece of his already torn jacket and tossed it into the bubbling lava, where it instantly disintegrated.

"We better not fall into that, guys," Kuwabara said nervously.

"Gee, ya think?" Kagome rolled her eyes as she stood to the back with Kurama.

"A fine view, isn't it?" Byakko laughed manically as he stood on the largest platform in the center of the room. "This is my private chamber. I come here to... play."

Kagome smirked, "He's certainly deflated."

Kuwabara gasped. "No way! He's back to normal!"

"I just said that."

"Monster, you piss me off!" Yusuke growled.

"As you've already discovered, this room is filled with lava that will melt anything it touches," Byakko smirked, "So, does anyone have the courage to come and challenge me?"

"You bet I do, circus freak!" Yusuke yelled. "You think you've got so much power?!"

Kuwabara laid a hand on his shoulder. "Leave him to me, Urameshi."

Yusuke stared, "Kuwabara."

Byakko laughed, "Let the sword-man come. He and I have a very pressing score to settle."