A New Family Discovered

The O.W.L. exams began in mid-June and Harry was already exhausted from studying so hard. The theory exams were quite easy, but the practical exam, for him especially, was a different matter. It was not that he was being tested differently, but Harry was trying his best to make everything extraordinary. Madam Marchbanks took particular delight in testing him for most of the exams.

"I think you have adjusted to the accelerated program rather well, Mr Potter," said the old woman. "Now, I was wondering if you could vanish this iguana for me."

The Transfiguration exam was wonderful. Harry displayed his talent in inanimate conjuration by creating a throne for himself with the Potter crest clearly displayed on the back. Switching spells were quite easy and he amused his examiners by switching a vase of conjured lilies with his hair. The Charms exam was even better. When Professor Tofty asked him to animate his eggcup and make it do cartwheels, Harry went one step further and with careful concentration, began making the eggcup start dancing after giving it feet. When the eggcup bowed to Tofty after the show, the old man began roaring with laughter.

"Oh, you're quite cheeky, aren't you?" said the old professor fondly. "Yes, your mother did something quite similar when she took her exams. Now, if you could change the colour of this rat ..."

Herbology went reasonably well. Harry knew that it was not his best subject but he was sure that he would get an Outstanding anyway. Defence Against the Dark Arts was absolutely thrilling to show in front of the examiners. Harry took great delight in showing various curses, jinxes and counter-curses, stunning the examiner with his talent in non-verbal magic.

"Oh, bravo!" cried Professor Marchbanks as he conjured a marble stone slab when asked how to defend himself from Unforgivable Curses – an N.E.W.T question, actually, but Harry didn't care. The marble slab took four Reductor curses before it crumbled.

"Outstanding, Potter," she smiled. "Not many of them have the presence of mind to conjure stone in the path of a curse. You may go."

Ancient Runes and Arithmancy were very good as well. Harry took great delight in adding his knowledge about warding in the written papers. He was sure to get extra credit for that. But the best by far was Potions. Harry was supremely calm as he impressed the examiner with his spells which, he realised, other students who were taught by parents who specialised in Potions knew as well. His ingredients were meticulously cut into pieces and he ensured that the timer was set to the second. When he submitted the phials filled with perfect potion samples, he was sure that he would be pursuing the subject after school.

Care of Magical Creatures took place in the afternoon at the edge of the Forbidden Forest and the students had to identify the creatures and give them food, demonstrate the correct handling of others and identify the correct food to be given to an injured unicorn. Harry was quite surprised by his ability with magical creatures. The bowtruckle he interacted with during the exam had taken a shining to him.

Astronomy, Muggle Studies and History of Magic were fine. His perfect memory tuned with Occlumency exercises over the years had always helped him remember everything he wanted. The theory exams went well and he was quite happy with them. He also took the Duelling exam which was offered as a choice. Very few people took it, but Harry wanted it. By the time he finished all twelve of the exams, he was exhausted, but supremely happy.

HP*SAVIOUR OF MAGIC*HP

1st July, 2003

Somewhere in Edinburgh, Scotland

"Oh look, it's the freak!" said the older boy jeering at the small frame of the eleven-year-old boy.

"Watch where you're going, freak," said another, forcing the smaller boy to trip on his shoes.