The Duelling Champion

The end of the academic year was finally here. After Professor Quirrell had died in an unfortunate accident (according to Dumbledore), the headmaster had decided to teach Defence Against the Dark Arts himself. During the end of year exams, Harry impressed all his teachers with his astounding practical application of magic. Professors Babbling and Vector were overjoyed with his grasp of the subjects of Runes and Arithmancy since he had joined in the middle of the third year classes. He had needed help with the latter but was able to catch up after private lessons with Professor Vector. He had worked very hard, so it was no surprise (at least to him) when the results stated that he was the top student amongst the third years.

Thanks to Harry tutoring her, Daphne too sailed through her first-year exams and stood first in her year. Padma Patil stood second and Hermione Granger third, followed by Draco Malfoy and Ernie Macmillan. While Daphne was ecstatic, a few others were not. Hermione Granger had ranted about how there was no possible way she could not have come first.

Throughout the year, she had been under the impression that she was the top student until Professor McGonagall clarified that the rankings displayed on the notice board in Gryffindor Tower only gave information about Gryffindor students. Ergo, she was the top student amongst the first years in Gryffindor. But Hermione didn't like it. In her Muggle primary school, she had always stood first in class, and that position had been snatched away from her here at Hogwarts. She decided to study harder next year, and maybe even get into the accelerated program like Harry Potter. Draco Malfoy was unhappy because he had been beaten in the exams by a Muggle-born.

Due to their performances in the matches, Slytherin won the Quidditch Cup, but thanks to the two hundred points the four Prefects had gained in saving Hermione Granger, they were able to snag a victory for Ravenclaw for the House Cup. All four students had also been rewarded for their bravery as they had risked their lives to save a fellow student. The Ravenclaws were especially happy as they hadn't won the House Cup in several years, thanks in part to Snape and his less-than-cheery attitude towards anyone other than a Slytherin. The older year students in all four Houses had finally calmed down after they had to grudgingly admit that Harry Potter really did qualify to be in the accelerated program because of his intelligence and talent and not because of his fame.

Once the end of year feast was done and the golden plates and cutlery cleaned, Harry let Hedwig fly back to Potter Castle while he shrunk his trunk which was already packed by one of his house-elves. Just as he walked down to the common room, Professor Flitwick informed him that Professor Dumbledore wanted to speak to him. Harry immediately excused himself and withdrew his communication mirror.

"Sirius Black," he whispered.

The mirror heated up and his godfather's face appeared. The man's eyes narrowed dangerously. "He's calling you to his office, isn't he?" he asked without preamble.

"Yes," Harry answered stiffly.

"I'll take care of it, Harry," said Sirius calmly. "Don't worry."

"Thanks, Sirius," said Harry with a small smile as he put the mirror back in his pocket. About fifteen minutes later, when he and Daphne were walking out of the castle, they saw Sirius Black walk in and head directly towards the marble staircase.

HP*SAVIOUR OF MAGIC*HP

Lord Sirius Black walked towards Dumbledore's office after getting the password from a surprised Professor Flitwick. He saw the gargoyle jump to the side, so he stepped onto the moving staircase and knocked on the door. When he heard the old man invite him in, he opened the door and stepped inside.

The room was exactly as Sirius remembered it, with Dumbledore sitting behind the ornate desk, on a throne-like chair. He seemed surprised to see Sirius there.