The Second Year Begins

Start from the beginning

"What was that all about?"

"Arthur Weasley's Muggle Protection Act," answered Sirius. "There have been several raids conducted in connection with the bill. It's being endorsed by Dumbledore, actually, but the bill itself is poorly written. Lucius Malfoy is quite angry about it."

"I would be too," Harry scowled slightly. "There should be a wizard's protection act from the threat known as Muggles, not the opposite. We are the ones in danger, yet I hear no talk about that!"

Sirius tilted his head to the side as they Portkeyed to Black Manor. He observed Harry for a moment and said, "You don't like Muggles, do you?"

"What does that have to do with anything?" asked Harry defensively. Sirius merely narrowed his eyes and his young charge flushed slightly under his stern gaze.

"I'm asking you because I need to know," said Sirius as they entered the informal drawing room. "I am your Regent and I represent you on the Wizengamot and for that, I need to know what your thoughts are. I've observed that you're not of a liberal mindset, but I never pegged you for a red-blooded traditionalist."

"I'm not," Harry corrected him, regaining control of his emotions once more. "I'm more of a centrist, from what Grandfather Charlus' portrait told me; a balance between the two. I believe we need new ideas while also retaining our magical traditions and beliefs. You have to understand that I grew up both in the Muggle and magical worlds. I have a unique vantage point. I deeply respect our traditions and I don't want to see them gone. Dumbledore's supporters have a very narrow-minded view of what they believe is dark and light. They'll convert the magical world into a replica of the Muggle world, if they have enough power. The traditionalists, on the other hand, are so deeply rooted in their beliefs that they can't ever think outside the box, from what I've read from history and observed myself. We'll crumble from within if they are in power. We need a balance between the two factions; surely there are others who aren't extremists."

"That certainly is a novel idea," said Sirius after a few minutes. "And I have to say I agree with you. But I need to ask … what are your thoughts on Muggles and Muggle-borns?"

Harry took a deep breath. "I don't have a problem with Muggle-borns; in fact, I believe they have amazing potential and unconventional thinking. Just look at some of the Muggle-borns we have today! My mother was not the only exceptional witch or wizard they had to offer; there are bound to be others who are talented too. But there are some who tend to look down upon us, saying that we're backward as compared to Muggles. I've heard a couple of Muggle-borns say that. According to Hermione Granger, an ex-classmate of mine, wizards don't have a shred of logic. She believes we are archaic while her vaunted Muggle world is perfect and that we need to change our ways and become more like Muggles." He sneered as he said, "Tell me that doesn't make you angry."

Sirius nodded slowly. "I must admit those are statements that do get me mad. You have to understand, Harry, that there are bigots on both sides, and the Death Eaters used such Muggle-borns as examples to further their agenda. Your mother was never like this, you know. She completely embraced the magical world when she came to Hogwarts. Within a few years, no one could tell if she was Muggle-raised or wizard-raised. Unfortunately, not all Muggle-borns are like that. Lily's attitude, with the way she whole-heartedly embraced our culture and traditions, was the only reason your grandparents agreed to the marriage. They were furious at first, when they realised that James wanted to get married to a Muggle-born. After several fights, James managed to convince them to meet Lily and give her a chance. The first meeting was kind of frosty, from what I heard, but Aunt Dorea had to grudgingly admit that Lily did not behave like any other Muggle-born. Several months later, after they got to know her better, your grandparents agreed to the marriage."