37

"I'm here to see John Booker Routledge

"I'm here to see John Booker Routledge."
—————

In the morning, You JJ and Sarah got ready for John B's court case, Pope and Kie agreeing to meet you guys there.

After leaving the Chateau, you get to the court house where you spot Kie and Pope. The atmosphere of the group is gloomy as no one really says anything.

You are ushered into the court house, instructed to sit down. The five of you sit in the front row, waiting for them to bring John B in and for the trial to start.

Your leg starts to shake from the nerves and anxiety you feel rush through your body. JJ sends you a glance, reaching for your hand to try sooth you.

You jump slightly at the contact, looking over at him. He gives you a weak smile as he traces circles against the back of your palm. You squeeze his hand lightly, giving him a small smile as a 'thanks'

You watch as John B is walked down to the front desk, in handcuffs and an orange prison uniform. He stands behind the desk, and the judge hits their gavel to silence the court.

"John Booker Routledge, pursuant to the North Carolina statute section 14, you are charged with murder in the first degree with aggravated circumstances. If convicted, the maximum sentence would be the death penalty." At this the gavel strikes.

The crowd behind you starts clamouring, Sarah gasping and the rest of you stunned by this. JJ stands up, "Your honour hes 17." JJ says, you stand up trying to stop him, Pope doing the same. "Quiet." The judge shouts.

"No. He's 17! Are you kidding me?" JJ shouts, you start to push him towards the door as the others get up to leave too. "You're good." Pope says to JJ trying to get him to go outside.

"Hey, John B, we're gonna figure it out." JJ shouts at him as he's taken away. "John B! John B!" Sarah tries to get near him as she cries, but is held back by a cop. "Stop. Don't touch her!" Kie says to the officer, pulling Sarah away from the cop. "Let's go, Sarah. Let's get out of here." She says following you, Pope and JJ.

You walk out of the court, scoffing at the Kooks who were gloating. "Is this a joke? Like, are we in hell or...?" Kie says. "I should have never come home." Sarah says. "They're gonna kill him, guys. I know it." JJ says

"Thank god the system works." Some Kook says, "Can you please shut up? Of course you think the system worked because it was made it protect you and people like you." You say, "My brother isn't a murderer." You shout

"He'll have his day in court. A jury will decide." The kook says back.

"He shouldn't even be in court! You should, 'cause you're a murderer." You shout to Ward, "You have a lot of nerve showing up to court." Kie adds, Shoupe trying to break up the argument