Peace of Mind

"So...what are you doing right now?" I asked Connor as I laid in the guest bedroom of Daniel's house.

"I'm just talking to you," Connor said.

"And eating," he added.

"What are you eating?" I asked getting under the pink comforter and sheets.

"I made some chicken, rice, and vegetables for your mother and me. And I added an um ..... red beverage," Connor said laughing.

"Red beverage?" I asked.

"Yeah...," Connor said without explaining it was blood; hoping that I finally caught on.

"I didn't know that you could drink blood and eat food," I said to Connor.

"I still like the taste of food," Connor said.

"That's nice to know," I told Connor.

"Speaking of food, I was thinking that on our next date we could do a dinner and a movie," I said to Connor.

"What movie did you want to see?" Connor asked as I heard him turn on the water from the sink.

"Something scary," I said.

"Okay," Connor said as I heard the sink turn off.

"Why can't I just teleport to where you are?" I blurted out to Connor as I turned off the lamp beside my bed.

"You don't like talking on the phone?" Connor asked.

"It's okay, I just ...miss you, ya know," I said to Connor.

"I know," Connor said.

There was a slight pause on the phone until I began to talk again.

"Will things always be like this?" I asked Connor.

"Me always having to watch my back everywhere I go, I don't want this," I added.

"Because of who you are it may be like that," Connor said.

"How come it took years for me to get killed? What happened that night?" I asked Connor.

"That night ... I got into a really bad fight with some vampires from a bar. I was really bloody. I came home and you saw what happened. That night we went to sleep and when I woke up you were gone. No where to be found. Until I saw you on the news," Connor said.

"Do you think it was the guys who you got into a fight with that was after me?" I asked.

"No. I killed them," Connor said.

"You did what!?" I said sitting up on my pillow in the dark.

"I killed them," Connor repeated.

"Why would you kill them?", I asked.

"Because they were trying to kill me Danielle," Connor said.

"Right now it may seem a little extreme but vampires fight until the death. It was either me or them", Connor explained.

".... I just think that killing people is wrong," I said putting my two sense in.

"I know," Connor agreed.

"I know that you don't want to hurt people. But I'm afraid of what may happen to you if you ever get hurt and I'm not there," Connor said.

"Why wouldn't you be there?" I asked laying back down.

"We're never together all the time. And if I'm not there I want you to be able to defend yourself," Connor said.

"You're a black witch Danielle, do you fully know what that means?" Connor asked me.