Sea of Rust: Part 2

Start from the beginning

"That may be so, Drift, but our trip out was still delayed drastically. Once you two are finished with refuelling we will head out." Magnus pointed out, though not denying that a trip to the kind medic was unnecessary. Drift goes quiet for a moment as he thinks about how to bring up requesting that they go to the sea of rust. All because a dream told him to. That sounds stupid, he wouldn't grant the request. Drift thought as he finished his cube with surprising speed. "So which way are we going? Or is it just pick a direction and drive?" Hot Rod's question broke the white and red mech out of his thoughts and he looked between the two higher ups. "I was thinking that we head towards the old smelters near Kaon. There might still be some useful things there even after all this time." The second in command replied. Hot Rod nods his head and grins excitedly, putting his empty cube down to be recycled. "Sounds like a plan to me! What about you Drift? What's your opinion?"

"Ah..." Drift felt his face flush slightly, having been caught off guard. "I was...thinking we should head out towards the sea of rust." He admitted rather bluntly. It's quiet between the trio for a moment as the two processed his reply. The swordsmech could tell his red and yellow speedster friend was excited about going to the infamous sea of rust to explore it while Ultra Magnus looked apprehensive about the idea. Not surprising since that mech was around when this place was still being consumed by the war. A war he and Hot Rod were never a part of having been born off the planet and after the end of it.

"Oh that sounds awesome!" Hot Rod announced loudly with an excited grin and whirls around to look up at Ultra Magnus and puts on his best turbopuppy look. "Can we go there? Please?!" Hot Rod's second in command didn't look convinced, almost immune to the look his captain was giving him because Hot Rod uses it a lot when he really wants something. And it usually wasn't a good thing either. "Hot Rod it's dang-"

"Pleeeease?! I promise to be on my best behavior!" Hot Rod exclaimed, turning up the kicked puppy look and Drift...? He just didn't know what to do in this situation. It was quite a surprise to him but also a source of great entertainment seeing his two commanders having this exchange while others began to look over at them, wondering what was going on to make the infamous Ultra Magnus tongue tied. Magnus' shoulders slump and Drift knew that he had given in to those bright blue pouty optics. "Alright. But you both must behave. Cybertron may have went dark and hasn't been alive for millennia but the sea of rust is not a playground. I'm not even sure if it's still active and I don't want you both to get injured or worse out there." Ultra Magnus stated. It was a good compromise, in Drift's opinion, with how every mech and femme spoke of the location it was practically a death trap unless you were some type of flyer who already had a map.

Or just a flyer in general like Skyfire or Pharma.
Though Pharma wasn't under Skyfire's command and was under FirstAid's, just like his older brother Ambulon.

Hot Rod lets out a whoop of joy, throwing his hands into the air excitedly and Drift laughs at his captain's antics. 

"Stop acting like a youngling or I won't allow either of you to go to the sea of rust for as long as I function." The towering mech stated firmly, narrowing his optics slightly at Hot Rod which deflated some of the excitement a bit but the white and red swordsmech knew that Hot Rod still wasn't deterred. He lives for the thrill, Drift thought with a small smile. But I wouldn't have him any other way honestly. He felt incredibly lucky to have an Amica like Hot Rod. To just have Hot Rod as his Amica. The slender speedster was such a joy to be around, despite being reckless and such a stubborn aft. But it was charming. "Aw, you're a party pooper Mags." The flame colored mech groaned out as he dramatically slumped and threw his head back with a slight scowl. Drift reaches over and places a servo on Hot Rod's arm and gently pats it in reassurance. "Don't worry, once we get to another planet with a lot of open space we can race." These words perked up his Amica/Captain and he lowers his hand.

Poor Ultra magnus looked like he was about to have a fritz in his processor at the idea of the two of them breaking protocol to go dune racing. "I would much prefer it if you both didn't do that." It was a command that both speedsters would ignore - everyone knew that. Telling a speed model not to race was like telling a flyer not to fly. Or something kind of like that? Hot Rod just waves off Ultra Magnus' words with a grin. "Enough chit-chat, I want to go explore the sea of rust!" Sometimes, Magnus thought ruefully, it's like I'm not the second in command and more of a sparkling-sitter when it comes to these two. 

---

Hot Rod's alt mode skidded around a pillar, leaving tire tracks in the ground as he whooped in excitement. ::Captain! Slow down or I might lose sight of you.:: Came the irate com from the S.I.C and said captain screeched to a near halt to allow his fellow commander to catch up, his EM field giving off waves of disappointment as he started driving again once his Second caught up. ::You're no fun at all.:: Hot Rod complained over the three-way shared com-frequency. Drift's laughter over it could be heard as he joined in, ::Patience, Roddy. We'll be at the sea of rust eventually. Just cool your engines and have a little patience.:: 

::The estimated time of arrival is three hours. I'm sure you can keep yourself out of trouble for that long?:: Magnus chimed in, sounding much like a stern parent. If they were in root mode he would have had an optical ridge raised while staring down at Hot Rod like an expectant Sire trying to get a misbehaving youngling to behave for at least a little while. Reminds me of my Carrier. Drift thought in amusement as he hears Hot Rod groan loudly and start grumbling. ::I think our captain might need a leash, Magnus. I don't think he'll last the full three hour trip to the sea of rust.:: The swordsmech decided to tease his Amica, just because he could and he liked poking fun at his captain once in a while just to get the mech riled up. ::Hey! You're my Amica! You're supposed to be on my side Drift!:: Came the offended squawk of the red and yellow racecar over com. Ultra magnus could feel a processor ache coming on already.

I hope Springer is having better luck at keeping the crew in line than I am with our captain and Third. Came the woeful thought to the Cybertronian truck that was currently leading the way now, Drift and Hot Rod having fallen back a bit to playfully argue over the com-link and follow the S.I.C's lead.

::-and another thing, Drift you're just jealous that I look fragging hot as a racecar and you don't!:: Hot Rod's voice proclaimed, breaking Magnus out of his thoughts of wishing he was back at base. ::How does that relate to our conversation about you having no patience and have a thrill for almost getting offlined?:: Drift questioned half-heartedly. Primus, they're a bunch of younglings...