Chapter 39 - He's Everywhere

Start from the beginning

"Does this mean I can never talk about Toy Story in front of you?" he couldn't miss the last opportunity to make a final remark. After all, his smile did wonders for him, and his stomach took a long time to recover from it, it was only fair that he returned the favour.

Ryan, however, seemed immune to his sarcasm as he just rolled his eyes at his question and silently walked past him, shopping cart in hand. Apparently, he really planned to ignore him, just like he warned.

"Come on, you have to admit, that was creative." Evan didn't hesitate and ran after him. He was like a child's train on a string that Ryan held in his hands, and the moment he pulled, Evan automatically followed him.

The chocolate eyes gave him a single look with a raised eyebrow before their interest returned to the shelves of food.

"It's not my fault that we meet so often that I had to make it special," Evan said, though he didn't mean it. Their meetings were indeed special, whether Ryan realized it or not, and it wasn't just Evan's fault. With their almost daily conversations, Evan could feel the bond between them growing and it was getting harder and harder to ignore.

And although he tried to keep Ryan from associating him with only positive emotions, he couldn't stand being ignored for long. Plus, he was really starting to worry that he had hurt his feelings and that was the last thing he wanted.

"Sorry," he apologized, and Ryan finally gave him a look that lasted more than a few seconds.

"I hope it's clear to you that the moment I find out something embarrassing about you, I'm going to use it against you?" he voiced it as a question, but Evan had no doubts about the truth of his words. After all, he had been bothering him for a few days.

"If it helps, just ask Angie. I'm sure she'd love to sell me down the river," he advised him. Ryan's face returned to the amused expression that Evan was used to.

"Maybe I'll let her steal your diary," he suggested.

"What makes you think I have one?" Evan mimicked his tone, and Ryan smirked. It was the type of smile that Evan had never seen on him before, and he had to admit it made him even more attractive than he already was.

"You seem like the type." He shrugged but judging by his expression, that wasn't the only thing on his mind. However, Evan did not find out what the other thing was, as Ryan immediately turned their conversation to more common topics. They went through the entire store together and then parted immediately as they both hurried home.

Of course, they met again the next day.

Evan's parents again used words that could drive Evan insane, but since he still needed their permission to go to Lola's party, he decided not to voice his opinion and instead excused himself to go for a walk. With winter slowly but surely approaching, he bet on his werewolf genes and the ability to not catch a cold and carefully crossed the puddles in his older sneakers. They were shabby, and a little dirty, and a hole was starting to appear on the bottom of the sole, which Evan naively ignored, hoping that if he didn't pay attention to it, it would gradually disappear on its own.

He didn't have a specific route in mind, so he let his legs go by memory. He passed the shop, then the bus stop, and after a while, he realized that if he kept going, he would end up in Nowhere. Oddly enough, one visit to this place had etched this place into his memory. Maybe it was because it was Ryan's special place, and maybe, it was because Michael's words that he had said there were still stuck in his head. Either way, Evan doubted it would be a good idea to go there. After all, it was the Saunders' place, and he had no business being there.

His feet remained glued to the pavement as he wondered where to go next. Not enough time had passed for him to just return home, but he was also fed up with this aimless walking. And like any introvert, Evan didn't like spending time alone in public. Maybe that's why the coffee at Rock Pop Diner alone sounded like the biggest challenge to him. On the other hand, he could always take it with him, and so it was decided.