Chapter 37 - Apology

Start from the beginning

Once again, it was Evan who started to find the silence bothering him, so he decided to break it: "Did you need anything else?" It was clear from his tone that he would prefer to end this conversation, but at the same time he didn't want to hurt the boy he shared a soul with, so he stood still, waiting for his reaction.

The black-haired boy jumped at the sound of his voice as if he didn't expect him to speak to him again. Right after that, however, he recovered enough to answer him: "I wanted to apologize."

Evan was sure the shock showed on his face as he hadn't expected such a response. He was sure Ryan had nothing to apologize for, but he seemed to think otherwise.

"For what?"

The brown eyes that had been averted to the sidewalk until now met his and whatever they read in Evan's, it encouraged the black-haired boy to take a few steps forward and approach him. The imaginary rope between them, which had been taut until now, finally loosened, and with it the irritation in Evan's eyes.

"For mine and Michael's reaction. I know I can't apologize for him, but I can for myself. I didn't mean to upset you, and I certainly didn't want you to feel like we were judging you. And if it's my fault you cried, I'm sorry for that, too," he finished his apology but quickly added: "Of course, you don't have to accept my apology. I just wanted to make sure you know I'm sorry and that if you want to talk, I'm here for you. No judgment." At the end, he waved his hands in front of him to back up his words.

Evan's whole insides suddenly screamed to embrace him and for the first time, he decided to submit.

It wasn't an awkward hug where you don't know where to put your hands, which side to lean on, or how tightly to hold the other person. No, their bodies melded together as if they were two pieces of a puzzle waiting to finally come together.

To Evan, it felt like a feeling he had felt a long time ago but had erased from his mind. Like a memory that always brings a smile to your face or like that one scent you smell and suddenly feel like your life is beautiful and full.

The moment he held him in his arms, he felt as if he had everything in his hands. His insides stopped screaming, his mind became clear, and everything that weighed him down seemed to suddenly disappear. One hug and he felt reborn.

"This is..." Ryan obviously felt it too and before he could finish the sentence that would bring Evan back to reality very quickly, he promptly broke away from him and did it himself.

"Sorry." This time it was Evan who was apologizing, but for entirely different reasons. He had just made another mistake that only added to his confusion and complicated his life. And thus, Ryan's as well.

A sort of awkwardness returned to the atmosphere between them again. They were still standing close to each other. Far enough that no one could mistake them for lovers, but too close considering they had only known each other for a short time.

Ryan cleared his throat, and Evan was afraid of what would come out of his mouth. He was honestly surprised that he hadn't put two and two together after all the misses Evan had done and pointed out their bond. It was only a matter of time since Evan clearly couldn't control himself in his presence.

"I'm starting to feel like every time we're in the same room together, one of us is meant to screw it up," Ryan chuckled, and Evan immediately joined him. He couldn't have said it better.

"And I thought I was the only one," Evan matched his playful tone. Suddenly they were just two peers, standing together at the bus stop and laughing together as if they were friends. And in a way they were.

"So friends?" Ryan said, and Evan caught himself nodding automatically.

"Friends." Evan had a lot to think about, but until he made his final decision, it couldn't hurt to be friends with Ryan.