Kev for the rescue

*Lia*

I sat in Mick's hospital room and waited. I was waiting for someone to come and tell me something from Max. I hadn't been allowed to wait with him, or rather in front of the OR. His dad had sent me away immediately, had practically accused me of everything being my fault. If it hadn't been for all the trouble about the Aston Martin data....

And I had already made this accusation to myself. If it hadn't been for all that, maybe the accident wouldn't have happened. Maybe I was the one to blame if he didn't wake up.

I gulped at that thought, because life without Max had become completely unimaginable to me. He had affected my life so much in the few weeks we had known each other now that I didn't want to imagine what it would be like when he was gone.

"He really didn't do it, huh?" croaked Mick, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"What do you mean?", I whispered, wiping the tears from my eyes.

It was dark in his room by now.

"The data thing. I mean if he was just dating you to get the data, why would he have called for you? Why all those words when he knew he might not..." he broke off the sentence.

Mick was hit just as hard by the whole thing. Not only because he had been involved in the accident, but also because he and Max had been friends forever. He gasped.

"He's going to make it, isn't he?" he asked into the darkness.

"I hope so," I croaked, then got up from my chair and pushed him over to the bed.

I took Mick's hand and squeezed it "I hope so much.".

"Honestly? I didn't think it would be Max." whispered Mick "Lance saw this coming but I didn't. I thought you and Pierre or maybe Charles. But not Max. I thought that... oh I don't know. But then when I saw you guys... I just hope he makes it. He just HAS to make it," I nodded.

We were silent again for a while while I just held Mick's hand. At some point I noticed the pressure of his hand easing. He was breathing calmly. At least one of us was calm enough to get some sleep.

I carefully placed his hand on his bed, then tiptoed out of his room. I had to move around a little. I couldn't just sit and wait anymore. It was starting to drive me crazy.

I still hadn't heard from Max, but I didn't dare go upstairs again either. I knew I would just be sent away again. So I decided to go down to the cafeteria and see if I could get a Red Bull there. I wasn't going to sleep tonight anyway.

The harsh light from the hallways illuminated the linoleum floor at my feet and gave me strange apocalypse vibes. As if I were the last person on this earth. This feeling of loneliness and emptiness ran through me with an infinite power. I had always liked being alone.

But not since Max.

I had hated not being able to be with him every second. I didn't want to be alone. At least not without him.

"Here you are," I lifted my head when I could hear Kevin.

My best friend was with me in a few steps and pulled me into his arms. I immediately started sobbing. He wrapped his arms around my back.

Kevin was always dependable. In good times and in bad.

I started to cry. For the first time since the crash, really. Until now I had pulled myself together as good as I could, had cried again and again, but not like now. I let out all the fear and pain because I knew I was safe with Kevin.

But even he couldn't keep me upright as my knees gave way.

We sat on the floor in the hallway for a long time. Kevin just held me until I could catch my breath to some extent.

Run the worldOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara