cloud nine

*Max*

I never thought this would ever exist for me, but I was literally floating on cloud nine. I could have just looked at her. Every day. Every second.

I wanted to be with her, look at her, touch her.

I was all the happier that she finally came to see me in Monaco today. After Jeddah, she had traveled straight back to Silverstone to continue her work. We had talked on the phone every evening, but it just wasn't the same.

I just needed her around.

More than I had ever needed anyone around me. Actually, I was content to have my peace and quiet and sit at home in my simulator. I had always enjoyed being free and not having to follow anyone.

But this time the longing had been almost unbearable. I had been close to just flying to Silverstone a few times. But I knew she had to work so she could be with me eventually.

It would be just her and me for a few days before we would fly on to Melbourne. I would soak up every second because even though we could see each other every day during the races and I could safely sleep in her hotel room, it still wasn't the same.

Now we would have the opportunity to really spend time together. Even if it didn't take much for me. It would have been enough for me to just lie next to her on the sofa, something playing as background noise on the TV while I held her in my arms and stroked her hair.

Shit, when it came to her I was a fucking softie.

But what was I supposed to do? I just melted when I saw her. She had won my heart over and brought so much warmth to it that I wasn't sure I could ever do it without her again. Without that warmth. That love that spoke from every look.

I waited for her at the airport with a huge bouquet of tulips.

Then I could finally see her and I forgot everything around me for a moment. She looked a little bit finished, but immediately started to smile when she saw me as well.

It was just a glance, but it was enough.

I was with her in a few steps, my hand on her cheek, I pulled her face up to me and kissed her. My heart immediately got a little lighter.

"Hey darling.", I whispered.

"Maxie.", she replied at least as softly, looking up at me.

Urgh, there was definitely nothing better than that sight.

"I missed you.", I admitted, she started smirking.

"I'd say the same thing now, but if I'm honest I've been working so much that I was just wiped out when we were on the phone." she laughed "But I have to admit that the bed suddenly seemed so empty.".

Immediately a smile slid across my lips.

"That will change again.", I smirked and couldn't wait to hold her again at night.

Just being close to her was absolutely enough for me.

I held the bouquet out to her "You never complained about the tulips, so I thought you must have liked them."

"I did." she accepted the flowers and took a deep breath "I love tulips.".

"Then I'm in luck.", I took the suitcase from her "Let's go. I finally want to introduce you to my cats."

When we reached my apartment, I was a little surprised to find that my mom's car was already in the parking garage. They knew her here, so I'm sure they had already let her in.