soft

*Lia*

The flight had been a disaster.

I was all the more relieved when we finally landed in Nice and I could leave this plane.

I was completely overtired and just felt shaken and exhausted as I walked off the plane towards the gate. I was actually really looking forward to the short trip to Monaco before heading back to Bahrain, for the first race. But this flight and the fact that I had slept less than ever in the last few days took away that joy. I just saw this trip more as a burden than anything else.

But I had promised Charles and I kept my promises.

I finally reached the baggage carousel, collected my suitcase, and then made my way through the gate. My spirits sank a bit more when I couldn't see Charles. The airport wasn't exactly crowded and I certainly would have noticed him, but no Charles.

That didn't help make me more excited to be here.

I was about to pull my cell phone out of my pocket to call him when someone put his hands on my eyes from behind. I felt someone pressing warmly against me from behind.

I prayed that it was Charles, because anyone else would have been knocked out by now.

But I gave myself a moment to this warmth that he exudes. The warmth and that eerie warm smell that enveloped me. I let myself fall against him a little and then murmured a soft "Charles, I hope that's you.".

I heard his chuckle "Who else are you expecting, ma belle?".

"No one. But who knows, maybe that's the new kidnapping tactic too?", I laughed and then turned in his arms.

His hands slid to my cheeks as he did so, and he looked at me with that soft look I'd seen from him a few times now. He brushed a strand behind my ear and smiled.

"Welcome to Nice, Lia.", he said my name in such a soft voice that my knees buckled for a moment.

"Merci.", I replied and saw the corners of his mouth twitch at that.

"I like it when you say that.", his fingers stroked my cheek.

"Hasn't escaped my notice," I smirked.

"You look exhausted, ma belle, how about we go to Monaco first and get your suitcase to the hotel and then I'll kidnap you for a slightly belated breakfast?"

"So a kidnapping tactic after all.", I laughed, he laughed too.

"Anyway, I'm going to hold you captive for the next two days." he winked and then reached for my suitcase "Do you mind?" he handed me his arm.

I hooked myself under and had to laugh again. Charles really was insanely polite and the worst part was that I was even sure it wasn't an act.

Charles was just so polite and I enjoyed it.

We didn't have far to go to his car. He put my suitcase in the trunk, then opened the passenger door for me and let me in.

I let myself sink lower in the seat for a moment. All the stress, anger, and resentment were gone.

Charles got in on the driver's side "Which route are we taking? The short one where we get to Monaco quickly or the one that's a little longer but we drive along the coast for a bit?", I looked at him a little surprised, he started laughing "I did my homework and asked Seb what you like and don't like."

"And he told you that?", I laughed in confusion, as my brother was still anything but thrilled that I was causing such a stir among the drivers.

"No, but Mick was quite helpful then," the Monegasque smirked.