Kinemortophobia (JevKnight)

Series: Hermitcraft (fanmade season)

Plot: Wels has a fear of zombies due to his past, and Jevin finds out about this in a very unfortunate way...

TW: HEAVY ANXIETY AND PANIC ATTACK

(Note: Jevin goes by He/They in this os, its just a personal headcanon of mine)

_

Wels came from another world before Hermitcraft. One where the world had been destroyed by a zombie apocalypse. He remembered every bit of it, down to the points where he had to leave behind and, in a heartbreaking amount of cases, kill some very good friends of his. After so many years, his evil brother Hels convinced the Watchers to bring him somewhere safer, somewhere he wouldn't die before he could vanquish said evil, and that place was with the Hermits.

But years in a safe place still couldn't get rid of the years in a traumatic one, and so Wels never got over his fear of the undead. He chastised Bdubs as much as the others for sleeping the night away so quickly, but in reality, he couldn't be more thankful for it. He'd been to others' mob grinders, and the groaning of zombies still made him want to vomit. The worst that happened was a couple spawning in some of his unlit mega bases, but it was nothing a few speedy torch placements and hours of hanging out with friends waiting for them to despawn couldn't fix. As long as the others never knew, he was fine.

Speaking of hanging out with friends, Jevin sent him a message in the chat earlier that day asking if they could go monster hunting together. I've been kinda bored, Jevin explained, we always do some crazy new thing no one's done before, thought it'd be nice to do some regular old survival stuff for a change.

Now, Wels could pass anyday on "regular old survival stuff" especially when said stuff included zombies, but what he couldn't pass on was a chance to hang out with his blue slime crush. So the knight agreed to meet him at the sunset, near the spruce woods that were known to house a variety of dangerous mobs within the trees. Wels made sure to pack his best netherite armor and gear, as well as some spare rockets for an emergency exit if he needed. He didn't really need to fly to said forest, it was perfectly accessible by a neat little tram Tango had built with Mumbo a while ago, so he went on his way with the furnace powered minecart behind his.

It had just enough fuel to stop right at the forest, where Jevin was standing against a tree with a communicator in their hand.

"There's my man Wels!" Jevin cheered, putting the device away. "I was just about to ask if you were still up for it,"

"Hehe, yeah, sorry about that, I was just making sure I had everything, you know?" Wels said, getting out of his cart and swinging his sword over his plated shoulder. Jevin nodded in agreement.

"So, you ready to feel like it's the start of the season again?" Jevin asked, turning to the forest and the setting sun as it brought out the stars. Wels swallowed his anxieties, cursing himself for being scared not of the real dangers like accidental enderman eye contact or rogue and silent creepers, but of the brainless creatures that died in less than 3 hits on a bad swing.

"Sure am!" Wels said, hardly a quiver in his voice detectable by the slime.

A good half an hour passed before a whole lot of mobs started showing up. The two killed some spiders and skeletons here and there, Wels managing to get Jevin to lure a creeper over so they could get a music disc (it ended up being Cat). Heck, there were even a few zombies around, but with the help of Jevin, Wels felt a slight boost in confidence, and they killed the undead together when they came around.

Then Wels heard yet another groan. It made him sick, just like all the others, but he figured it would be fine. Jevin was busy dual fighting a skeleton and an enderman that fell into their sweeping edge earlier, claiming that they had it under control, which they really did. Wels figured that was fine too, he could deal with one zombie, surely.