"I know" Caroline simply said, grabbing her sister's hand and dragging her to her room.

***

"Have you spent much time in Richmond for your book?" Carol asked Elijah, as they stood in the Lockwood living room together, "There's such a wealth of history there".

"No, I'm focusing mostly on the smaller regions of Virginia" Elijah explained, "Lots of research, strictly academic".

"That's fascinating" Carol said, just as Lily walked over to her.

"Mrs. Lockwood" Lily greeted.

"Lily, I'm so glad you made it" Carol said, giving Lily a hug who stood there awkwardly, really not a hug person.

"Didn't have much of a choice" Lily mumbled, as Carol broke the hug, not hearing what Lily said, Lily then looked at Elijah, "Elijah".

"Lily" Elijah greeted, grabbing Lily's hand and kissing the back of it.

"You two know each other?" a confused Carol asked, breaking Lily and Elijah's brief staring contest.

"Yes, Lily has been a huge help in my research" Elijah lied.

"Lily Forbes helping someone, that's a first" Damon taunted, walking over to the group.

"Damon Salvatore not minding his own business, not a surprise" Lily taunted back, making Damon glare at her while Lily gave him a mock smile.

"Elijah, I want you to meet Damon Salvatore" Carol introduced, "His family is one of Mystic Fall' founding families".

"Mm-hm" Damon confirmed, turning to Elijah, "Such a pleasure to meet you".

"No, pleasure's mine" Elijah said, shaking Damon's hand, the tension between them evident.

***

After having enough of everyone, Lily decided to spend some time in the Lockwood's office, away from everyone. While she was looking through one of the bookshelves, the door to the Lockwood's office opened, turning around a small smile came on Lily's face once she realised it was Elijah.

"How can I help you, Elijah?" Lily asked.

"I heard that your sister was taken by some werewolves" Elijah said.

Lily nodded, "She was, but your witch buddy came and helped us".

"I promised I would keep you safe" Elijah reminded.

"And here I thought you were keeping my sister safe" Lily teased.

"My priority is always going to be your safety, Lily" Elijah stated.

"I know how to take care of myself Elijah" Lily said, "I've been doing that for a long".

"It's okay to let someone else take care of you once in a while" Elijah said.

Lily shook her head, "I don't like relying on other people, I don't trust people not to hurt me".

"Not everyone's out to hurt you" Elijah pointed out.