29 - Alone

The walk home was quiet and cold. Pondering over the things that Heather had said caused me to feel doubtful. Maybe she was right.

Being friends with the guys had truly changed my life. I was always used to being alone and overlooked. However, they allowed me to feel happy for the first time in my life. It didn't matter though. Heather had done well to remind me that none of it was real. They didn't truly know me, and if they found out what had happened, they would hate me.

For the first time in my life, I felt relieved to see the little rundown place I called home. I just wanted to go up to my warm bedroom and sleep.

As I walked into the house, I tiredly kicked off my dirty shoes and slung my backpack onto the ground. Unlike what I'd been expecting, the house did not provide me with any warmth at all.

"Goodness, it's freezing in here," I whispered, practically trembling from how cold it was.

I gently walked deeper into the house and flickered on the light in the kitchen. However, it didn't turn on. Confused, I flickered the switch off and on. And yet, nothing was happening.

"Mom?" I softly called out, only to be met with silence. I wasn't all too surprised, I hadn't seen her in almost two weeks now. Who knows where she'd run off to.

I rubbed my face and walked over to the stovetop, twisting it on. Nothing. Dread pooled in my stomach once I realized that I'd forgotten to pay the electricity bill.

"Just great!" I shouted, kicking the wall. I groaned and fell backwards at the pain that erupted in my foot. Before I knew it, I was curled into a ball on the ground and sadly contemplating my life.

"Daisy?"

I snapped my head up.

"M-Malcolm?" I slowly rubbed my eyes in confusion. "What are you guys doing here?"

By guys, I meant Malcolm, Andre, and Elias. The three of them loomed over my figure, peering at me with varying expressions. I quickly stood up, rather dazed by their appearance in my house—the very same house I'd done well to hide from everyone, due to my shame of how small and messy it was. I momentarily thanked God I'd cleaned it up just the day before.

"We decided to take a leaf out of your book," Malcolm shot me a bedazzling smile. I gave him a blank look, to which he quickly divulged. "We followed you home."

At this, I frowned at Andre. "Did you even try to stop them?"

"It was actually his idea!" Malcolm chimed.

"Not helping," Andre glared at him, before slightly whining at me. "Why are you only holding me accountable? We all followed you."

"You're the only one that knows where I live. I showed you my house that day because I thought I could trust you," I said, feeling rather betrayed.

Andre sighed. "Look, I'm sorry I broke your trust, but I don't regret it. You shouldn't be alone at a time like this."

"Yeah, besides, we couldn't give a flying duck about what your house looks like, Daisy," Malcolm said. "We would never judge you for-for-"

"For being poor," I smiled sadly. "Don't you see? You couldn't even finish the sentence. Face it, guys—we're from different worlds."

"What's that supposed to mean?" Elias gruffly demanded. I'd almost forgotten he was there, with how silent he was being as he observed us.

"You know what it means," I looked away from his analytical stare.

"What, you're saying you can't be friends with us just because we happen to have some money?" he questioned.