12. Drained Adolescence

Start from the beginning

Tears stream down my face, "No! You've done nothing wrong. I'm sorry," I gasp, walking towards them. Darkness clouds my vision.

I reach out for them, feeling nothing but empty air. I trip, landing on my knees.

"What have you done?" I hear the soft voice behind me.

"Nothing! I've done nothing!"

"Rhea, you're drowning," she whispers, "let me go."

Tears cascade off my chin. I lean on my arms, while my knees hold me from touching the cold tiles. "I can't," I gasp, choking on my tears.

"You've already lost me, let me slip from your hands."

"No," I demand.

"You're killing me, do you understand? You're hurting me so much. How could you do that to me?" The little girl asks, turning my chin with her little hand.

"I can't lose you too," I whisper, as a droplet hangs from the tip of my nose.

"Haven't you listened? I'm already gone."

I close my eyes, as I silently cry.

I feel her hand leave my face, and when I open my eyes, I'm sitting alone in the dark.

"Rhea?" I call out.

"No," I object.

"Don't leave me!" I scream.

"You can't do this to me!"

"Pleas-"

My body jolts, forcing my eyes open. I look around the sun lit room, while I lift myself up, on my elbows.

Two shutter doors meet in the middle, covering the closet, just a couple feet away from me. A clock ticks, hanging on the beige colored wall to the right of me.

A wooden antique nightstand holds a lace covered lightshade, with picture frames (a family I don't know) sitting next to it.

I look in the corner of the right wall, which holds a brown leather armchair. A handmade quilt lays neatly over the top, while a rough fabric pillow showcases a bouquet.

I lift the covers, and slide out of the bed, feeling the cold wooden tiles under my feet.

Opening the guest bedroom door, I walk down the hallway and down the creaky wooden staircase.

I walk through the living room, and into the kitchen.

Immediately, I see a paper, and a key, sitting on the counter island.

I reach for the paper and read it.

"I forgot to give you a key, so here. The house is your home too, eat whatever, do whatever, use my clothes, I don't care, just feel comfortable. I got a few things from the store and put them in the cabinets and fridge.

Nothing should be expired, I hope. The house phone still works, so call me if you need anything.

My number- 555-01X-XXXX

-Gabriel"

I smile at the note, and grab the key.

Deciding I don't want to lose it, I put it on my necklace, holding my parents rings.

I look for the house phone, and see an old tan push telephone, sitting on a slim table against the wall of the stairs.

I pick up the phone and push in the numbers, hearing a click each time. I put the phone to my ear, and hear a mellow ringing.