Chapter Thirteen

I gripped the steering wheel as I drove to school, feeling numb. There's an alien working on my family's ranch. 

I would have laughed if I hadn't seen how strangely true it all was. Orion's words had burrowed deep inside, leaving no room for denial. I had to make a choice. Do I help him, or ignore the chaos he has brought to my home? 

I had nothing but time to think over Orion's words all weekend. My plan had been to ignore it all until I had no choice but to think about it. Denial at its finest.

But with the harvest over and my dad and Orion giving me the weekend off in celebration of my first place in the Bull Riding competition, I didn't have much else to do besides think. I had gotten third place in the singing competition, which was the biggest shock the entire weekend. And the fact that that was the biggest shock made me feel like an idiot. 

I found out that aliens exist and I still thought getting third place was the most outrageous information. Clearly, I've lost my mind.

I hadn't believed I would place at all, especially since my focus was shot near the end of the song when I saw the Destrocomet in the back of the tent, looking like a hungry monster at buffet. I hadn't even been sure I was singing the right words or in key when I realized it was there. But I must have done something right because I had a third-place yellow ribbon to prove it. 

And even as my dad continued to shout about it all weekend— his version of my victories growing more elaborate and outlandish with each telling— I hadn't felt much like celebrating. But with my dad beaming with happiness and proudly displaying my ribbons up in his office, I had done my best to be excited all weekend, for his sake. 

He doesn't know that everyone almost got taken out by a rock creature that's after his best employee... and Orion.

I parked my car in the school parking lot and sighed. Orion would be in my first class. I couldn't ignore him or his question anymore. 

Taking a deep breath, I tried to process something that was way beyond my ability to comprehend. 

Orion is an alien. Rock monsters are after me and he won't tell me why. 

I ran my fingers through my hair, pulling it up into a frustrated ponytail, then slamming the car door closed, I made my way to class, still no closer to making a decision.

I slumped down into my chair, head spinning with a never-ending list of nagging pros and cons that I couldn't seem to weed through. 

Should I spend time helping an alien guy look for a material that he doesn't even know how to describe? Do I want to put myself in danger? Can he be trusted? Can I afford to not help him and leave him to run around acting like a glowing strobe light of chaos for who knows how long?

"Alina?" Orion asked cautiously. His beautiful voice shattered my concentration.

I looked up at him startled. "Oh, hi."

He smiled shyly. "Hi." He looked more flustered and nervous than I had ever seen him.

"Hi," I said again like an idiot. I wasn't even sure what else to say at that point.

His smile grew more confident, purple sparking in his eyes for a moment. He leaned forward, his mouth close to my ear. His breath touched my neck, sending my heart fluttering in my chest. "So... are you going to help me? Or are you going to leave me to terrorize the town like a beacon of trouble for those monsters?" he whispered in my ear.

A chill ran down my spine and it took physical effort not to melt. A combination of emotions swarmed through me. 

I closed my eyes for a moment, organizing my thoughts and tucking away unwanted reactions. I looked into his eyes and found myself answering before I was fully aware I had decided. "Yes. Yes. I will help you."