Chapter Seven

The pranks stopped. I didn't know why. I assumed that Ashley had secretly keyed a few cars, or threatened a few people. But she didn't own up to it when I asked. All I knew was that Kristi stayed far away from me. She would freeze and bolt the other way when she saw me. She looked afraid and I had no idea why. It left me feeling strangely unsettled. The 'Ranch Girl' nickname stayed, but I had gotten fairly good at ignoring it.

I sat down in second period that Wednesday, with growing concern. I was having a hard time concentrating. My heart was beating irregularly and my ability to dish out sassy comebacks was not up to its normal standards. My brain kept getting pulled to thoughts of rain, a boy with dark eyes, and a strange tenderness that surprised me. 

When I had gotten home that day, I left his jacket on his front porch, and we hadn't spoken about it since. It felt more like a strange dream than something that actually happened.

Before class began, I leaned towards Ashley and whispered quietly, "I think I'm dying."

"What?" She giggled, assuming I was joking. I didn't blame her. That was a terrible way to start a conversation in the middle of the school day. "What from? Boredom? I don't blame you. This class is a snooze." She pretended to fall asleep.

"I'm serious," I hissed. "My heart has been acting weird. Irregular heartbeats. I can't concentrate. I keep seeing strange things. I think I'm dying. I think I caught something lethal."

Ashley looked suddenly concerned. "What do you think it is?"

Orion walked into class and sat down in his usual seat in front of me. He turned and smiled.

"Morning, Ranch Girl," he greeted in a deep wonderful baritone. His voice was annoying. Terribly, wonderfully, stupidly, irritatingly, fantastically annoying.

"Yep," I said looking down, ignoring his gaze. "Morning."

Ugh. My brain is totally dying. 

He chuckled as he swung around so he was facing me fully. His face was closer than I was prepared for, and my nose was filled with the intoxicating smell of citrus and pine. He needed to stop smelling so good. It was unhelpful. I refused to look up at him, pretending instead to be looking through my class notes.

"I've been thinking..." 

Suddenly a piece of paper slid into my view. I looked down, reading the information before peering up at Orion. I was startled by his beautiful eyes so close to mine and forgot for a breath what I was going to say. 

Focus! 

After a moment I gained my ability to speak again, and raised a brow. "The singing competition? I thought you said you didn't sing."

A ghost of a smile played at the edges of his lips. "I don't. You're entering."

I shook my head, my heart pounded in panic. I shoved the piece of paper back towards him. "Pass. Very, VERY hard pass."

"Too late. You're already signed up." He said pushing the piece of paper back towards me. "Just thought I would give you a heads up."

My cheeks flamed, anger and embarrassment warring for the top spot on my emotional ladder. "What? No. You can't—"

"I did. Trust me. You'll be great. You got the pipes for it."

I looked up at him in panic. I was past angry. I was terrified. It erased all other feeling. "I can't," I whispered.

"Why do you keep saying that? Obviously, you can. You have vocal cords. You can sing. So it isn't a matter of can't."

He turned around before I could say another word. I closed my mouth and ran my fingers through my hair in frustration, causing my red curls to bounce back up around my face. I crumbled up the flyer for the singing competition and shoved it into my pocket, needing it off my desk.