Chapter Four

I walked into my first class with my head held high, finding it difficult to keep a smug smile off my face when I didn't see Orion at his seat. It was strange to get to school with more than a second to spare. When I finished my work, I raced to change my shirt and boots, before running out the door without a glance in the mirror, hoping that I looked half decent this time. I didn't want to risk him beating me by glancing in the mirror, or driving the speed limit.

I sported a comfy flannel, jeans, and a pair of high boots as I sat down and stretched out, grinning like an idiot. Orion hadn't even finished his chores when I left for school.

He's going to look like a dump truck.

I felt slightly guilty for taking pleasure in knowing that, but after a moment my guilt was replaced with shock. Orion walked into class and gracefully sat himself down next to me. He looked... well perfect. His straight hair was combed to the side with several lone strands falling into his face, streaks of dark beauty landing across his jaw. He had showered and smelled wonderful.

A freaking beautiful dump truck...

He smiled at me. "Hi, boss."

"Hi loser," I said leaning back, ignoring how nice he looked. It didn't matter. I won.

He chuckled. "I wouldn't call me that if I were you." He leaned towards me, more of his raven black hair falling into his face.

"Why? Does losing hurt your feelings?" I asked with fake concern.

"No. I didn't lose," he said with a grin. "You see... I finished early and then asked your dad for your list of chores that you do after school and did those too."

My mouth fell open and I sat up straight. "No way. You're lying."

His eyes glistened with amusement. "Nope."

I shook my head, confused. "How... how..."

"Magic." His eyes darkened, before fighting off a smile. "I am very fast."

My brain processed the words. The probability that he could have finished first didn't add up. It didn't make sense. He must have cheated. It's impossible. "I don't believe you." I finally stammered.

He shrugged. "Then check my work when school's over. Your dad checked, but if it makes you feel better to go over your dad's work, then go for it. But I didn't miss anything."

I glared at him for a long moment and then pulled out my phone, my eyes never leaving his. "I'll get this settled now. No need to wait."

I dialed home and my dad picked up on the first ring. He was laughing as he answered. "Whoa! Orion was right. That boy is a mind reader."

My heart dropped. "What are you talking about?"

"Tell Orion I owe him five bucks. He said you'd call as soon as you found out that he did all the chores on your list for this afternoon."

Disbelief washing over me. "So he really did them all?" I asked quietly, hating that I had been stupid enough to make the phone call while sitting next to Orion.

"Yep! The kid's fast! I checked his work."

"Oh," I managed to say.

My dad chuckled. "Don't hate him too much hon. I think he's a good kid."

I sighed. "Dad, you like everyone. Get some standards."

He laughed again. "Have a good day sweetie. I'll see you later." I couldn't even look over at Orion as my call ended. I put the phone in my pocket and stared at my desk.