003

HATE
10.13.2022

• • •

• • •

my eyes flutter open, the lights are too bright. someone is beside me, but i can't make out who it is.

until i see those green eyes.

"j, jack?" i say. the bright lights are really helping me.

jack and dawson help me up and off of the ice, i was too dizzy to do it myself.

jack helps me to the locker room. i need to get this helmet off. i try to find the latch, but i can't.

i try to recall the events of what happened, i was about to shoot the puck into the net, and that's when i got hit.

"did i get the goal?" i ask still trying to get this stupid helmet off.

"yeah, you did." he replies.

"is the game over? did we win?" i ask. my head hurts bad, i think i have a concussion.

"it's not over yet." he says. why aren't i out there? why isn't he out there?

"we have to go back out there, it's not over." i say. i try to get up, but i'm too dizzy to.

"don't worry about that right now, stel." he says. for the first time since the argument, he called me something other than zegras.

"can i watch the rest of the game?" i ask. he nods and helps me back out of the locker room and to the bench.

some of the guys checked on me, i reply letting them know that i'm ok. my head is killing me though.

the flyers have the lead, but it's not like the devils haven't came back from deficits before.

i hate that i can't play in the game right now, and i won't be able to play the next game either.

coach told me i don't have to travel with the team if i don't want to, but i do.

i go back into the locker room once the third period is halfway over, so i can change.

i change in the locker room, since i'm alone. i take my hair out of my french braids and tie it back in a low ponytail.

i go into the bathroom and take a look at myself in the mirror.