019

LITTLE THINGS
11.23.2022
jack's point of view

• • •

• • •

our faces, mere inches apart, the only thing in between is the rain that's been falling the entire time we've been out here.

i can't.

"wait." i say taking three steps backwards. "i can't kiss you."

"why? what's wrong?" she asks.

"no, nothing's wrong, just em, you'll see." i say. i extended my hand out so she can grab it. she furrows her eyebrows at me but interlocks her fingers with mine anyway.

i start running back to my house, i can't believe i almost forgot why i was learning the guitar for a whole year.

"why are we running." she says. she caught up to me, so we're running side by side, she's still holding onto my hand though.

"because, i have to show you something." i say. we run the rest of the way back to my house which was father than i thought it was.

i leave her in the hallway once again and run up to my room. i grab a hoodie, a random hair tie i found in my bathroom, and my guitar. i change while i'm up there, because i'm freezing to death.

i run back downstairs and hand her everything but the guitar. "here," i say. "you're probably cold."

she goes into the half bath downstairs and changes. i sit down on the couch and wait for her.

"thanks." she says coming out of the bathroom in my hoodie. she's wearing different pants, so she must've had spare ones in her hockey bag.

"okay," i say moving my capo to where it needs to go. "so this was supposed to happen a lot differently, like completely differently. but it didn't, and i've been learning the guitar for this reason so i still wanted to do this for you." i say.

she takes a on the arm chair across from the couch, legs crossed in front of her. she has her hands in her lap playing with the lining on the hoodie.

one chance, jack. this past year has led up to this moment, you can't screw it up.

"your hand fits in mine like it's made just for me. but bear in this mind, it was meant to be." this song isn't just any song to her, or to me.

when we were younger, stella's mom was trying to teach her how to ballroom dance, but considering how short stella was at the time, her mom couldn't teach her properly.

she asked trevor to do it, but he just picked on her for not knowing how to do it, so i taught her.

i taught her to this song.