6| ARTICLE

DEVON CARPENTERS' HEART-WRENCHING NEW SONG ALL ABOUT HIS EX.

by Noel Wang

Bad Omen's new album, The Death of a Peace of Mind released last night, and amongst all the great songs, one stood out the most. Just Pretend. I got to talk with frontman, Devon Carpenter over coffee. We talked about the album, his break-up with Andi Villarreal, and the band's upcoming tour.

NW: How are you? I believe the last time we spoke was at the beginning of the lockdown, you had just moved in with your now ex-girlfriend.

Devon takes the spoon on the table and stirs his coffee.

DC: Ugh yeah, that sounds about right.

NW: Both you and Andi have kept your break-up very private. You've ignored questions about each other and stood a mutual ground when it came to maintaining everything private. That is until you drop this album, am I bold to assume that Just pretend is about her?

DC: Not at all. Just pretend is about Andi. Unfortunately, things between Andi and I ended but there's still hope in me that we'll find our way back to each other.

NW: Are you saying that Andi is the one that got away?

DC: Yeah I guess I am.

NW: Talk about timing, there's rumors circulating that Andi is dating a Kpop idol. The internets gone wild with excitement over the possible news. Can you confirm if there true?

DC: I can't. That's a question for Andi.

NW: let's talk about the album, what was the writing process like? It's a beautiful album.

DC: thanks man, I appreciate it. This time around the writing process was a bit different. For a long time I've written with someone else not to mention a lot of the emotion in this album is really raw. I was really going through it.

NW: That someone was Andi? For most of your musical career, Andi has had writing credits even before the two of you dated. However, this album is the only one without her. Is this the beginning of a new era?

DC: Yes and no. New era yes. Andi is an extremely talented lyricist. We've all seen and heard how easy it is for her to jump from genre to genre. She's a genius when it comes to words.  I hope that one day we can work together again.

NW: Would you say that you have a favorite song on the album?

DC: I usually hate picking a favorite but if I had to I think it's a tie between the title track and just pretend. If I am being honest this is one of my favorite albums that we've ever released.

NW: New album, new tour?

Devon chuckles,

DC: There's nothing better than performing so of course we're going on tour. The dates haven't been confirmed just yet, all I can say is that we're starting in Asia.