Cuarenta Y Siete ~ 47

Start from the beginning

“He said he’ll call me.” I glance at my watch and stand. “Probably not until it’s dark. So I guess we kill time for now. I’m gonna take a shit.” 

“Alright, I’ll be right here.”

A few minutes later, I return to the living room to find Jackson asleep on the couch. He must be exhausted after getting questioned by the police for twelve hours. A yawn escapes my mouth, and I’m honestly depleted from the last few hours, too, so I sink onto the couch next to him and shut my eyes.

∆∆∆

Something is licking me.

When I wake up, my mother’s dog, Cha Cha, is sitting on the couch between Jackson and me, licking my arm. The atmosphere is warm as if the oven is on, and there is the scent of something broth-like in the air.

“How the fuck?” I rub my face.

“Oh, you’re awake now,” my mom says from the kitchen. “I have Cha Cha’s dinner in the oven. She eats at five o’clock.”

“Ok…” I rise from the couch, and beside me, Jackson yawns. “Ma, what are you doing here?”

“What do you mean, what am I doing here?” She sets the oven mitts on the counter and removes her apron. “You’re supposed to watch Cha Cha for me.”

“What now?”

“Remember? I’m going to Reno with the girls for a few days.” 

“No. When the hell did you tell me this?”

“Last week! Ay, dios mío. I swear you never listen to me.” She rubs her temples.

“Smells good.” Jackson approaches, his eyes still sleepy, and my mom's frustrated expression morphs into a smile.

“Thank you. I make Cha Cha’s food fresh from scratch. None of this store-bought caca. Only the best for my baby.”

I point to myself. “I’m your baby.”

“Don’t be jealous!” My mom plucks Cha Cha from the floor and cradles her. “Be kind to your little sister.”

“Seriously…”

“Anyway.” She shoves Cha Cha into my arms, then returns to the stove. “I thought you boys might be hungry, but all Miguel had was meat and potatoes in the fridge, so I whipped together beef stew. Seriously, mijo, you need to add variety to your diet.”

“I need protein.”

“You need more veggies,” she tuts. “But I have to go now. I put the rest of Cha Cha’s food in the fridge, and she gets a treat after dinner. Just one. And she likes to sleep on the bed, so please don’t leave her out here in the living room alone.”

“Ma, this is seriously a bad time. We’ve got a lot of shit going on.”

“You told me you could watch Cha Cha!” She wags her finger at me.

“I do not remember saying such a thing!”

“Ay, dios mio…” my mom pinches the bridge of her nose. “You’ve been so distracted lately, and I know it’s because you’re up to no good.”

“I swear, nothing is going on.”

My mom drops her hand and looks at Jackson. “Miguel thinks I can’t tell when he’s lying.”

“Yeah, his face does give it away…” Jackson agrees, and my jaw drops.

“You’re on her side!?”

“She makes good food.” Jackson shrugs.

“Anyway, I have to go.” My mom kisses Cha Cha’s head and grabs her purse. “We’re staying at an Air B&B. I left the address on the fridge.”