Veinticinco ~ 25

Fog blankets the sky, but behind it is the peekaboo of a navy night and a glowing crescent moon.  Neal was kind enough to lend me a sweater, but it fits me like a fat guy in a little coat, so I keep tugging on the collar and sleeves. 

“Stop fussing,” Evan teases as we sit on Mindy’s balcony.

“I look ridiculous.”

“Yeah, but you always do.” Evan grins as a cloud of cigar smoke flows from his lips. But then he spears me with his piercing blues irises and flicks the ash off the cigar's tip. “So, what happened to you?”

“A dog got hit by a car in front of me. It was brutal.” 

“Is that the story you’re going with?” he cocks a brow.

“What do you mean?”

“Did the dog explode on impact?” Evan laughs. “Because I’m having a hard time believing the blood splatter on your shirt is from a dog.”

“You don’t have to believe me.” I shrug, and Evan shakes his head as he leans forward.

“Weird things have been going on, man.”

“Like what?”

“Jackson and Alma. I think they’re up to something with that Angie chick.”

“And what makes you say that?”

“I dunno. They’re always whispering. Like the other day, they invited me to go bowling, so I went, and anytime I wasn’t looking, the three of them were whispering. It just gives me bad vibes, you know? Like they’re planning something. Plus, people talk.”

“And what do people say?”

Evan glances behind us, but the sliding glass door is shut, and no one can hear us. Yet, the hairs on my neck are erect anyway because I know where this is going, and I wish it weren’t. He must have learned I’ve been fucking Angie. 

How the hell am I going to rationalize this? 

Especially since he’s so protective of Mindy and doesn’t want her getting hurt by some selfish asshole like me, who was so sexually deprived, I stuck my dick inside Angie Psycho Killer Mendoza. He looks back at me and exhales while running a hand through his blonde hair. 

“Chloe told me she met up with Alma for coffee the other day, and Alma was talking about her ex, Gino. Apparently, she sounded paranoid and said she needs to kill Gino before he kills her.”

“Well, that’s not a surprise.” I shrug. “We all know her ex-husband is walnuts and getting out of prison soon. Lord knows what revenge plans he has.” 

“Yeah, but the thing that set off Chloe’s alarm bells is that Alma asked if she would be her alibi. So Chloe asked her what she meant, and Alma started talking about how Gino won’t be free for long and Angie is helping her figure things out. I think the entire conversation rattled Chloe.”

“Well, I’m sure the anxiety of Gino getting released is messing with Alma’s head. The guy kidnapped her and drove around with her in the trunk of his car. He’s insane.”

“Oh, there’s no denying that." Evan waves his hands. "All I’m saying is something weird is brewing, and I feel like it ties back to Angie. Ever since she came along, Jackson has been acting strange. He turned me down for beers last night. When have we known the guy to reject a few brews after work?”

“Maybe he wanted to spend time with Alma.”

“And that’s another thing.” Evan wags his finger. “Are they sleeping together?”