Veintisiete ~ 27

Falling asleep with Mindy in my arms is the best sleep I’ve had since Angie walked into my life like a hurricane, catching me in a cyclone of chaos. Even Mindy’s stale morning breath is a welcoming change as I kiss her while making love—

Scratch that. While having sex.

Because we’re not at that level yet. Even though I’m a sedulous lover, right now, we’re just friends with benefits, so even if my stupid, sappy brain throbs with the word love, I won’t dare say it. 

Not yet.

Mindy moans into my mouth, muffling her climax, and this time when I spill into her, I’m wearing a condom. In fact, the carpet next to the bed is littered with gold foil wrappers from having a sex fest all night. It definitely feels different than when I was inside her without a latex barrier, but I’d rather be safe than sorry.

Giving one last deep kiss, I roll off her and onto my back, panting. “I think I’m officially spent.”

“Me too,” Mindy sighs and shifts to her side to rest her head on my chest. “But we don’t have to wear condoms. I’m on birth control. I have an IUD.”

“Is that the weird thing I felt near your cervix?”

“Yeah, it has little strings attached, so the doctor can pull it out when it expires.”

“Interesting.” I twirl a lock of her hair around my finger. “Does it hurt? Like when I pound you, does it cause the IUD to move around.”

“No. Sometimes I forget it’s there.” Mindy shrugs.

“I see. But if we’re going to start having sex without condoms, we should get tested,” I say, as the thought of Richie’s spaghetti dick comes to mind. He cheated on Mindy throughout their marriage, so his weenie is filthy. 

Mindy kisses my chest, then leans up on her elbow. “Ok. I’ll make an appointment with my doctor this week, but for now, I’m starving.” 

“Breakfast?”

“Yes. I have eggs and bacon, but if we’re lucky, Neal will make it for us. He loves showing off.”

We reluctantly peel ourselves from the sheets we’ve sullied with our body fluids, and Mindy rifles through her dresser for a long t-shirt while I slide on my clothes from last night. I exit the bedroom first and bump into Chloe in the hallway, which is a fascinating twist. 

“Sup,” she says, wearing Neal’s shirt with no pants as she nonchalantly walks past me.

“Well, well, well…” I laugh, following her into the kitchen. “Is that the walk of shame I see?”

“Ain’t to shame in my game,” Chloe scoffs and reaches for coffee cups in the cabinet, causing Neal’s shirt to ride up her thighs, so I look away. “I think I broke Neal’s headboard, and I’m damn proud of it.”

“So that’s what I heard.”

“Look who’s talking.” Chloe shoves a coffee pod into the Keurig. “I’ll be surprised if Mindy can walk for the rest of the day.”

“Chloe!” Mindy gasps as she enters the kitchen with Neal. 

“Oh, come on. It’s too late to be shy. We all heard you guys last night. Hell, I think even the neighbors down the street heard.”

“Chloe, stop.” Mindy covers her face in embarrassment.

“Don’t be embarrassed,” Chloe laughs. “After dealing with your narcissistic ex-husband, you deserve amazing orgasms.”