Fuck! It stopped!

I really didn't want to look up at Harold because I didn't want him or anyone to see the tears of disappointment trying to force their way out but did so as a reflex when I heard him gasp. This man is more than a foot taller than me so I practically have my head to the ceiling when looking at his face and it's because of that awkward angle and the fact that we're standing directly under a light that I almost missed the flash in his eyes. An increasing smile was spread across his face and once again I found myself doing it back.

"We did it..." Dominic whispered beside me, standing stock still with his eyes wide and focused on his father.

"Did what? What's going on?" My mother piped in lightly, taking a curious step forward. Even though I saw Harold's eyes change color and can feel the presence of his wolf, I'm not ready to get happy yet.

"We did it...WE DID IT! How? How did we do that Jade?" He excitedly popped out question after question.

I laughed feeling those same tears make a run for my cheeks but for a different reason this time. Swatting them with the sleeve of my shirt I tried to regain my composure needing to see if this is really happening.

"Mom? Could you come here please?" My voice shook with each word. Like Harold with Dominic, she seemed a little hesitant but quickly crossed the room and took our hands. Every now and then she'd glance over her shoulder at Harold, I guess to figure out what was going on since neither of us has to yet to explain anything. I placed my free hand on my belly right away this time but nothing happened.

Shit! We got too excited too soon.

"What are we doing differently?" There's nothing different as far as I can tell. Dominic is holding my mother's hand as am I and my other hand is over the baby. This is the same exact thing we did with his father so why isn't it working now? "This is how it was minutes ago. I had my hand here," I moved my hand down to the left side of my stomach just above my belly button, "and my eyes were closed thinking about how much I really wanted to do this for so that the baby won't have to."

A small huff resembling dull laughter rushed through Dominic as a small smile made its way onto his face. "So was I..."

Staring at each other for that brief moment, we exchanged words through our eyes only. While still holding on to my mother's hand we both began thinking of our unborn. Just like before, our hands warmed and our hearts sped up but instead of looking away this time, I focused on my mother's eyes waiting for that flash. She gasped and blinked once long and hard. When her eyes opened I saw the flash of her wolf and instantly broke into a smile. That was it! That was how we did it! Together, side by side with the greatest symbol of our union as our motivation.

***

An emergency meeting was called after we restored the current Alpha and Luna. It lasted well into the early morning hours since we had to touch each and every pack member. To be on the safe side we included children and infants just in case Cameron's powers had somehow reached them and when it was all over I was dead tired. News of our pup also came out at that meeting considering I was touching my belly the whole time. As I thought, there were some that gave me strange looks that I can only speculate about but it is what it is. The only look that did concern me was from Dominic's mother. Restoring her wolf was probably one of the tensest moments we've ever experienced. When she first laid eyes on my stomach her expression was blank.

 When she took her son's hand she looked at him with so much love and regret but when she looked my way to take my hand, she failed to look me in the face. It seemed like I was invisible to her and I could tell that it was bothering Dominic. I felt his frustration and even the stress of our strained relationship weighing on him so when the Alpha suggested the entire pack go for a run to celebrate the return of their wolves I encouraged him to go and spend the time with his Dad. He was refusing to leave me at first but with a promise that I would go home and go to bed, he relented. I sent him off with a kiss and watched everyone including Jax and Kayla run toward the clearing as they let off howl after joyful howl. I turned toward the house that I knew would be pretty much empty aside from a few of our guards and Trent and his men but at the last second, took a detour.

The walk was pleasant considering the cool air that was brushing by me. I just rubbed my stomach with each step and continued forward, seeing this time as bonding time with me and the baby. I'll admit that a part of me was jealous when Dominic said that he'd already bonded with our pup and was hoping for the same connection. Maybe I'll just have to wait until he or she is about three or four and bribe them with cookies. Light laughter escaped through my nose as I approach the perfectly decorated front lawn separated by a long stone walkway. I have no qualms about this and actually feel confident knocking on this door. When it opens, however, my mouth does go a little dry.

Sheryl stepped from behind the heavy looking oak door actually looking me in the eyes this time. Her face held the same blank expression as before inducing an exasperated sigh that was cut off by an unexpected move. Reaching through the doorway she gripped my hand gently and pulled me inside, shutting the door once I was in.

"Would you like something to drink? Water, hot tea? Maybe sit and get off your feet for a second?"

"Thanks but no thanks," I smiled as best as I could. "What I came here for won't take that long and I have to get back before Dominic's finish the run." She nodded nervously folding her hands together in front of her. Her? Nervous? I never thought I'd see the day. She came at me from the start like an angry lioness defending her cub. I never would have ever thought this woman knew what it meant to be nervous. "I just want to say that I understand why you reacted to me the way you did in the beginning and that I don't blame you one bit. I'm not yet a mother but I can say now that it would hurt me to have to watch my child go through what you did when Dominic lost Alice. You were just looking out for what was best for your child and I get that but like I told you before Mrs. Cruz, my intention is not now nor would it ever be to hurt him. You can take my word for it or you can keep your guard up but I'd like for this to end now. We don't have to have a close relationship—"

Before I could complete my statement Sheryl had me pulled to her rubbing soothing circles into my back. "I'm sorry! For everything. He was right. You make him happy and I see that now. You don't have to let me into your lives right away but I would love to be a part of it." Hearing that touched me deeply. I don't want to be at war with my mate's mother and if this is a start to something better between us, I'll take it.

I placed my arms around her accepting the hug. We stood there for I don't know how long, just embracing each other in silence. It was hard but I managed to break the hug deciding it would be best if I made it home before Dominic since I did promise him I was going. As I pulled back Sheryl rubbed my stomach and smiled. I walked out of there feeling better than I have in a really long time. It finally feels like things are coming together. All we need now is to bring all this bullshit with Cameron to an overdue end.