Chapter Twenty One

That day, I still remember him arguing with me. He was adamant about delaying his admission by a year, he said that he could take a gap year and get some experience. However, every time he spoke, all I could do was feel guilty that he was having to change his plans for me. Even though he proposed, it now felt like I had shackled him to me. I didn't want him to see me as a dead weight. I didn't want to change the way he looked at me. Maybe if I had passed my exams, I wouldn't feel this way.

He was worried about me. He cared about me more than my own family. They simply ignored me for the rest of August. My mother would only shake her head at me and look at me in disgust. My father's eyes only held disappointment. It was only when Jordan had came round to see me, did my family try to show a dignified front and act like that they would support me no matter what.

It was that evening that my sister changed. She was warmer around me, she would flick a joke my way about something we did in our childhood. She would throw smiles my way, it almost felt as if I was being comforted by my eldest sister. Something she hadn't done in years. It was then that she looked at Jordan with a sweet smile on her face.

"So Jordan, what university are you heading to?" She asked as she took a bite of her steak.

"University of Brighton." He replied with a sad smile as he placed his hand on mine. I gave him a quick squeeze and returned a smile, one that was filled with hope and happiness for him.

"Oh my god?" Katie screeches enthusiastically "You're not joking?" Jordan shook his head in reply. "That's exactly where I am heading to as well!" She exclaimed.

I didn't realise it then but this was the start of our demise.