Chapter Eighteen

Life with Jordan was something I never expected. He was a breath of fresh air. It took me a while to find my sense of security. He was the opposite to me, he was confident and didn't care about anything. Whereas I was a shy introverted girl who worried and fixated over everything. I was always worried about losing him. It wasn't just the attention and affection he gave me, he made me feel worthy.

Every time, I would look in the mirror I wouldn't see my sister's shadow. I would see me, Louise. I remember being fixated on my differences with my sister and always struggled to see what was beautiful about myself. However after many years of being with Jordan, I recognised myself from within the shadow.

I would notice that my eyes had different colour speckles, mine were more amber in the sunlight. Whereas my sister, her eyes would gleam darker. My hair was also a deeper shade of brown, whereas hers would sparkle in the sunlight's gleam. My skin was also a couple of shades more fair than my sister's. Where she spent a lot of time outside playing sports, I was sat inside my room like a hermit typing away hoping to write the next best thriller. There were so many differences between the two of us, that I no longer viewed as one entity. No longer did I hide away, I developed a confidence that Jordan would only tease and say "You're so sexy".

My life was getting better and even my relationship with my parents improved. My father took more of an interest in my studies, it was the first time that I had told anyone about the awards that I had won for my writing. I remember the look of guilt that shuffled through his eyes before they gleamed with a happiness that he had always shown my sister. This was the first time I noticed him look at me that way. I wouldn't say my relationship with my mother was better, but she was less abrupt. When my sister told my mother about my boyfriend, she was irritated, saying that I was too young to comprehend having a relationship but when she found out it was with Jordan, she was awestruck. She knew his family through business connections. After that she never seemed to put me down or wish that I was like my sister.

The only change was the relationship I had with my sister. That had completely transformed. I would like to say that she changed, but the truth was always that I was different and neither of us knew how to cope with that.