Chapter Thirteen

I don't know how long we lay there as an entangled mess. One moment I was hugging him as he wept out his pain, the next minute we were both holding onto each other. Neither one of us wanted to let go, we were like a life jacket for one another, neither wanted to break away for fear of drowning in our emotions. We were using each other to keep afloat. Hours past and not a single word was spoken, but both our eyes were filled with questions, questions that we never wanted to ask, questions we never wanted to answer.

"What happened?" His voice as quiet as a whisper.

"I was pregnant the night of the engagement party." I croaked out. "The engagement party that was meant to be for us. The one that I planned painstakingly." A dark chuckle escaped my lips. "But that changed when our parents announced that the bride was not me, but my sister Katie."

"Where is our baby? What happened to our child?" Jordan pleaded.

"Don't. You should know all about that" I angrily spat at him. "My mother told me all about your relationship with Katie. She took me to the hospital and forced me into an abortion that you agreed with." I screamed. I clenched my eyes shut, I pulled my knees to my chest as I continued to sob into between my words. "Like everyone else, you all choose Katie. I lost my love, my family and my baby all at once."

"Louise, please hear me out, I have no idea..." He begin to speak again. I couldn't help but pull away from him and turn my head, not wanting to hear his excuses. I used all my force to push away from him and scurry to other side of the room.

"Just don't." My voice was hoarse, I couldn't even recognise the sounds coming out of my mouth.

"Please, I'm begging you to hear me out." He sobbed even harder. His eyes pleading with me. The resolve I once had was slowly withering away. It was as if every word, snapped the string of my strength to ignore him. Desperately I wanted answers, but the fear inside me creeped into my heart. It was scared of what he would say of. I was terrified of how far their deception went, how long his betrayal was.

My heart was hammering in my chest, I didn't want to listen to him, I wanted him to disappear and never come back. Being this close to him was excruciatingly painful. I knew he was desperate to give me answers to questions that I was too scared to ask.