Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Hard To Read

I STOOD in front of my white wooden table office as my eyes looked down on the two things that kept me up all Sunday night.

The orange front cover of the book was facing me while it was placed on top of the neatly folded black jacket. Both of the things he left me was carefully placed on top of my table.

When will he even get these? It has been days already and I still haven't gotten any calls nor texts from Jaydee.

Mas malinaw pa sa makukulay na ilaw ng bar noon ang sinabi niya sa aking kukunin niya rin naman ito. I don't have any plans to keep it either. Well... it is his. I don't have any rights to keep this with me.

He told me that we will meet again. That I will bring him back his things. Two things that he accidentally left with me, his jacket and his book.

I let out a loud sigh and made my way back to my bed. It's already in the middle of the night, yet this small thing is keeping me awake.

Hindi ko naman alam kung bakit. I'm sure he should be the one who's worried. Gamit niya ang nasa akin. Bakit ako ang nag-iisip nang nag-iisip dito?

I grabbed the book that I was reading and continued it. The book was successful in taking him off of my mind. Hindi ko na lamang namalayan ay nakatulog na pala ako habang nagbabasa.

The next day, I woke up quite late to go to work. I wore a white sleeveless blouse with black high-waisted slacks. My hand grabbed the nearest shoes that I can get. It turned out to be a black high-platform block heels. I let my black handbag swing on my arm and walked out of my apartment.

The weather outside was gloomy. The slightly gray clouds were covering the early sunlight.

It might not be a good idea to wear a sleeveless top today, but I no longer have a choice since I am running late. Mabilis akong tumawag ng sakayan. I already gave up on my old car. Kapag ganitong nagmamadali na ako ay hindi ko na iyon ginagamit pa. Minsan kasi ay nagloloko pa.

I was thankful to make it on time. The bottom of my heels was tapping against the floor of the elevator as I waited for the floor of our office. I quickly walked out and went straight to my desk.

Nandoon na si Jade at nagsisimula nang magtrabaho. I let out a soft sigh and placed my handbag on my desk. I didn't even have time to get coffee. Hindi na rin ako nakapag-breakfast pa.

Napatingin sa gawi ko si Jade at binigyan ako nito ng maliit na ngiti. "Good morning, Nica. Na-late ka ba ng gising?" tanong nito sa akin.

I nodded at her and sat on my swivel chair. "Yeah. Glad that I still made it on time," sagot ko at mabilis na binuksan ang aking monitor.

I tucked the strands of hair behind my ear as my eyes slowly drifted down on a cup of coffee placed at the side of my desk.

My eyebrows slightly furrowed. I grabbed it with my left hand and a yellow post-it paper was immediately revealed, hiding behind the cup of coffee.

Inikot ko ang kape at nakitang pangalan ko ang nakalagay sa cup. Hindi naman ako nagpasabay ng kape sa iba ngayong araw.

I looked at the post-it paper to the side and peeled it off the desk.

'Good morning, Nica. Running a bit late, huh? Here's a cup of coffee to get your day started :)'

There wasn't even a name written on it. Kanino galing 'to? Imposibleng kay Jade o Maia ito galing. They don't even buy coffee at this coffee shop.

Tumingin ako sa gawi ni Jade at pinakita sa kanya ang kape na hawak ko. "Alam mo ba kung sino naglagay nito dito?"

Pinasadahan lamang ng tingin ni Jade ang hawak ko at mabilis ding binalik ang kanyang mga mata sa monitor. "Hindi. Medyo late na rin ako pumasok eh," sagot nito. I nodded at her and went back to my cubicle.